Steel shot

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
Well how is that working for the duck, pheasant , and dove. Since it has probably half the density of lead, so less knock down, kinetic energy.
I used steel shot a few years ago on pheasant.
And it knocked one down dead. The other hit the ground running. Sucked.
Usually with lead it would drop dead. I was using duck loads. 3in.

Here is some fun facts.
Density of steel - .283 lb/in ^ 3
Density of lead - .409 lb/in ^ 3
Lead is 1.495 times more dense than steel.
The diameter of the shot will have
To be larger to achieve the same
Kinetic energy..
It will be interesting to figure out.
I will crunch some numbers.

Speed of the load/shell and distance of the shot have much to do with knockdown power....I have found that steel 3's seem to be the perfect waterfowl load (1550 fps) out to 40 yds or so....Since pheasant are similar in size and actually have less dense feathers, I've used the same size for them (I've used 4's as well)….Seems to kill them pretty dead...In a 3 1/2" shell going 1550 fps. and having a 1 3/8 oz load of 2's is pretty darn deadly for most waterfowl....I personally like BBB for big honkers and a little farther shots (2nd or 3rd shot).

I haven't had to use steel yet on quail or doves (#7's)….In Montana, I've hunted the refuges and steel is required for all birds, including upland...Again for pheasants, sharptails and huns I've used the 1 1/8 oz, #3 or 4's's in my SBE. or 20 gauge M-2 (7/8 oz)...2 cents

.016.JPG

Speed of the load/shell and distance of the shot have much to do with knockdown power....I have found that steel 3's seem to be the perfect waterfowl load (1550 fps) out to 40 yds or so....Since pheasant are similar in size and actually have less dense feathers, I've used the same size for them (I've used 4's as well)….Seems to kill them pretty dead...In a 3 1/2" shell going 1550 fps. and having a 1 3/8 oz load of 2's is pretty darn deadly for most waterfowl....I personally like BBB for big honkers and a little farther shots (2nd or 3rd shot).

I haven't had to use steel yet on quail or doves (#7's)….In Montana, I've hunted the refuges and steel is required for all birds, including upland...Again for pheasants, sharptails and huns I've used the 1 1/8 oz, #3 or 4's's in my SBE. or 20 gauge M-2 (7/8 oz)...2 cents

.View attachment 38237
Nice info Steve.
I recall now I was using #4 steel shot. It was pheasant and duck load.

I am thinking lol, #5 or #6 for dove or quail. Educated guess.
The article I posted above the guy states bismuth is denser than steel
Less than lead,
Interesting..

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu