Steel Shot

Must be taking long shots,or using shot that is to small. recommend using 6's with steel.

I’ve moved from 7’s to 6’s for this season. I’ll let you all know how it does if I ever find those bastards lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DMAX
I’ve moved from 7’s to 6’s for this season. I’ll let you all know how it does if I ever find those bastards lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did the same the year the rule took effect. They are certainly better than 7's in steel, but not as effective as 7's in lead.

Good luck on locating them!

Here's my 2 cents from using steel for our local upland... :blush:

Birds the size of quail & doves have soft feathers, as do band-tailed pigeons (waterfowl do not)...A smaller target requires a denser pattern (ask any trap or skeet shooter)...The key to killing them IS the dense pattern...And to get a denser pattern, you need smaller shot sizes.

I have shot both the 6's and 7's and have killed many birds with bothl,m ...But, the better of the two, has always been the 7's.

ps...Pattern them at 25-30 yds...You will see the difference (holes the size of quail or doves)...I only shoot a factory Benelli modified choke for all steel.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu