Sticks, Slings, and holding it all..Oh My!

Macsteve

Jun 23, 2016
So as a super newbie hunter with super newbie questions heres a few:

for day hunts where you plan to start in the morning and not camp, what do you bring with you? Is my standard Day Hike ~30L backpack with Hydration enough? too much?

What would you wear for a standard day hike with these temps? I'm planning on coyote hunting about mid july since I'll get my education cert July 9th. I've got a good set of Hiking boots, some nice Colombia green convertable pants/shorts, and I'm trying to figure out what style/type shirt I should be wearing.

How Do you carry your rifle? Slung over back? Controlled carry muzzle down?

How about a rifle sling? What is a recommendation for a nice sling to carry for long distances, but also to shoot with? In the Mil, the Hasty sling properly fitted was pretty much mandatory to shoot a decent grouping.

How about shooting sticks? I would really like to buy a pair of shooting sticks that convert and can be used as a walking stick. Recommendations?

Steve

When I day hunt I have the below

.day pack with 3 liters of water, fox pro, mouth calls, first aid kit, knives, headlamp, etc. You just never know how long you will be out there. I don't like to have a lot in my pockets

.I always have a set of Binos around my neck, you would be surprised how many times you will spot something mousing just sitting and glassing before you call

.I did recently purchase a high end light weight bi-pod for my binos but I don't normally carry that for varmint. It is nice for scouting though.

.I use a sling on all my guns except my over under, I like a traditional slings, AR slings bug me

.Boots are your #1 investment they will make or break you, I wear 10" boots as a compromise for gators but if you have low boots consider gators in the summer I am even thinking about gators with my 10" boots. Lots of snakes in so cal and the grass is high this year it will mess with your head for sure.

. I do carry shooting sticks but they are really light and fold up small, I find most of the time I don't use them and end up using a rock, tree, prone etc, but they are good to have. I have a real nice 20" Harris bi-pod that I use sometimes on my rifles but it kind of annoys me when carrying the rifle.

Truduct said:
When I day hunt I have the below

.day pack with 3 liters of water, fox pro, mouth calls, first aid kit, knives, headlamp, etc. You just never know how long you will be out there. I don't like to have a lot in my pockets

.I always have a set of Binos around my neck, you would be surprised how many times you will spot something mousing just sitting and glassing before you call

.I did recently purchase a high end light weight bi-pod for my binos but I don't normally carry that for varmint. It is nice for scouting though.

.I use a sling on all my guns except my over under, I like a traditional slings, AR slings bug me

.Boots are your #1 investment they will make or break you, I wear 10" boots as a compromise for gators but if you have low boots consider gators in the summer I am even thinking about gators with my 10" boots. Lots of snakes in so cal and the grass is high this year it will mess with your head for sure.

. I do carry shooting sticks but they are really light and fold up small, I find most of the time I don't use them and end up using a rock, tree, prone etc, but they are good to have. I have a real nice 20" Harris bi-pod that I use sometimes on my rifles but it kind of annoys me when carrying the rifle.

good recommendations. I think I'm just going to go buy the stupid gaiters. I don't really want to...but I don't want to get bitten either :)

So you don't use your shooting stick as a walking stick? So perhaps maybe not a worthwhile investment?

Where in San Diego Can I buy this stuff at? I've been to REI and Dicks and they both suck.

Steve,

All good recommendations.....I personally don't use a backpack much except for turkey hunting long distances.....Like light weight pack with good compartments.....Lots of good brands out there....I've had a Boyd for many years.

I like cotton t-shirts with camo Leafyflage for almost all conditions except super cold stuff.

I use Limbsaver slings......Under 30 bucks at Walmart.

I've never shot anything with sticks....My daughter uses them, but even she leaves them most the time.....I do like a walking stick though.....Lots of uses for it besides walking.....wink.gif

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    1,004 KB · Views: 16
I bought my fold up sticks at fine fire arms in La Mesa. They look like tent poles maybe weigh 12oz by you could not use them on your knees or sitting.

Thoughts on this?

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Primal-Bow/Rifle-Pack/product/13030307014435/

Seems the ability to stow my Rifle and lash up my bino's would be nice.

Looks good to me.....And the price seems right.....BPS has always been good to me about warranty's too.

I know there are others on here that know way more about these kind of backpacks.....wink.gif

How about Calls? I'm looking to get some predator calls.

Electric fancy stuff is out of my price range.

Opinions?

Macsteve said:
Thoughts on this?

Doesn't look like there is much padding on the hip belt; that will limit how much you can carry comfortably. And while on the subject of weight distribution, having the "butt bucket" for the rifle or bow off to the side like that will throw off the balance of the pack and could fatigue your back. Unless the side-mounted butt bucket is designed effectively to get the weapon into your hands without removing the pack, a better approach is to have it in the center. Most have the butt bucket in the midline behind the pack. Some Eberlestocks have a scabbard right in the middle and against your back (under the pack) which can be useful.
The straps for binos could be a good thing, but not if they (the binos) can dangle. There are some very good bino cases out there; I wear mine under my pack, and that's where I carry stuff I want to get to without removing my backpack.

Bonejour said:
Macsteve said:
Thoughts on this?

Doesn't look like there is much padding on the hip belt; that will limit how much you can carry comfortably. And while on the subject of weight distribution, having the "butt bucket" for the rifle or bow off to the side like that will throw off the balance of the pack and could fatigue your back. Unless the side-mounted butt bucket is designed effectively to get the weapon into your hands without removing the pack, a better approach is to have it in the center. Most have the butt bucket in the midline behind the pack. Some Eberlestocks have a scabbard right in the middle and against your back (under the pack) which can be useful.
The straps for binos could be a good thing, but not if they (the binos) can dangle. There are some very good bino cases out there; I wear mine under my pack, and that's where I carry stuff I want to get to without removing my backpack.

good thoughts..do you have any backpack examples of a good pack w/ rifle holding?

also reading the reviews of it the suspension of the pack allows it not to Sag when the rifle is in it. However you are correct, you have to remove the pack to get to the rifle. My thoughts are to use this to get to your location where you kind of want to setup and then carry the rifle in controlled carry w/ the sling from there out

Welcome Macsteve,

I have a few hand calls from big5/Walmart nothing pretty that I keep in my bag incase the batteries die on my FoxPro. I got one of my first yotes on a $35 primos call back in the day when I started using electric callers. Good Luck bud and if you have any more questions post away. sorry for double pic not sure what happened

Attachments

• primos call yote.jpg
    primos call yote.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 11
is an electric caller really worth it over a manual blow in? even a cheapie?

Also IV. When hunting Predator, what do you do with your kills? leave it where it lie? take it back and skin it?

Everyone is different but I prefer the electric callers since if frees up my hands... I have this one and we have taken plenty of yotes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/foxpro-wildfire-/162116941850?hash=item25beec381a:g:IGgAAOSwc1FXbv5D

Steve,

Plenty of dogs have been killed with handhelds.....Like many things in this day of electronics, they're just better.....This guy died from a handheld and the other guy (actually him & 3 others) were called in on a cheapie battery operated (Cass Creek....$29.95).....May want to invest in a shaking rabbit as well....With handhelds and the cheaper electric calls, they can hone in on your position.....The shaking rabbit takes some of that off of you.

.http://img03.static-nextag.com/image/Cass-Creek-Electronic-Predator/10/000/061/103/818/6110381825.jpg

Attachments

• coyote 2-20-12.jpg
    coyote 2-20-12.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 10
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    662.2 KB · Views: 11
Before you go getting fancy packs and sticks you should go out and just hunt, you will learn what you like and want. Boots and your gun and get it done. Can't shoot if its in your pack.

Hand calls work great and on call shy dogs can be a deal maker, love my hellfire e caller but I do load alternative sounds on it.

Macsteve said:
is an electric caller really worth it over a manual blow in? even a cheapie?

Also IV. When hunting Predator, what do you do with your kills? leave it where it lie? take it back and skin it?

Yes an electronic caller is really worth it. You will notice a significant difference over mouth calls however mouth calls are effective. You don't have to buy a $500 Foxpro to be successful I would recommend starting with one of the cheaper electronic call models and then go from there. Many people skin them out during the fall and winter months when the fur is prime either to sell to a fur buyer or keep as a trophy for themselves. I leave most of the ones I shoot in the field for the scavengers and microscopic organisms to devour. Nothing in nature goes to waste.

Aeon said:
Before you go getting fancy packs and sticks you should go out and just hunt, you will learn what you like and want. Boots and your gun and get it done. Can't shoot if its in your pack.

Hand calls work great and on call shy dogs can be a deal maker, love my hellfire e caller but I do load alternative sounds on it.

that is a fair remark no doubt. I've eliminated sticks off my list. I do want the backpack, if not just to hold shit but also so I can shove a water bladder and some snacks in it; but thats something you could say is even dual purpose.

I'm sticking solid right now with
backpack
cheap e-caller.
sling
scent stuff

Thanks for the advice

ilovesprig said:
Steve,

Plenty of dogs have been killed with handhelds.....Like many things in this day of electronics, they're just better.....This guy died from a handheld and the other guy (actually him & 3 others) were called in on a cheapie battery operated (Cass Creek....$29.95).....May want to invest in a shaking rabbit as well....With handhelds and the cheaper electric calls, they can hone in on your position.....The shaking rabbit takes some of that off of you.

.http://img03.static-nextag.com/image/Cass-Creek-Electronic-Predator/10/000/061/103/818/6110381825.jpg

Thats a good Point. I suppose if they figure out its not an actual animal they'll high tail it and you'll never get a shot out. How far do you usually set up away from your decoy?

I noticed you mentioned shooting sticks.

http://m.basspro.com/RedHead-Kwik-Stik-Bipod-Shooting-Rest/product/1311150716308/

This is the one I have. Good balance for your rifle. It can fold up. Walking stick, kinda sorta. I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu