Straight GREEN.......wing teal

The Deer Guy

Apr 4, 2016
Well... another fun hunt. My buddy and I got out Friday morning after getting off work and set up. Put out a big spread and spent some time on a solid blind. Up at 3am and we were off. Got set up with plenty of time before shoot light. Lots of ducks around us in the dark. Once the shooting started it slowed down a bit but we kept steadily picking away at them. We made our shots count with 1 triple and multiple doubles. 14 ducks on the ground by 1050. 13 greenwings and 1 widgeon.
Josh

IMG_3810.JPG IMG_3811.JPG IMG_3814.JPG

Reactions: stikbrandon
Well... another fun hunt. My buddy and I got out Friday morning after getting off work and set up. Put out a big spread and spent some time on a solid blind. Up at 3am and we were off. Got set up with plenty of time before shoot light. Lots of ducks around us in the dark. Once the shooting started it slowed down a bit but we kept steadily picking away at them. We made our shots count with 1 triple and multiple doubles. 14 ducks on the ground by 1050. 13 greenwings and 1 widgeon.
Josh

View attachment 29476 View attachment 29477 View attachment 29478
Nice hunt!

Nice report and need take a day off like that myself!! I am jealous!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Great going Josh & Tyler........Doubles & triples on the buzz bombs is great shooting'......Your 6 dozen pro-grades & my full bodies must have been the ticket......;).......Heard it was very slow up there.

Reactions: OneManWolfpack
Nice job. Sunday the best anyone I talked to did was 3 birds. We walked out with only one that came from the only flight of birds we saw.

Great going Josh & Tyler........Doubles & triples on the buzz bombs is great shooting'......Your 6 dozen pro-grades & my full bodies must have been the ticket......;).......Heard it was very slow up there.

Trig,
It was definitely a lot slower than it has been. We made the best of it but only 1 widgeon came in and while driving back to the docks we hardly saw any ducks on the lake. Not sure if they left but it appears that there is less ducks.

The problem about widgeon is there's water everywhere.....They love the sheet water with grass.....Plus, every pond in the mountains around Henshaw that's been dry has water in it now.

Valley Center golf course is the perfect example.....All the ponds were pretty much dry with lots of pond weed, bulrush, and water grass in the bottoms....They are now full and absolutely jammed with widgeon.

ps......Huntin' was pretty good where I was too.....;)

.023.JPG

Reactions: Slayersmith
The problem about widgeon is there's water everywhere.....They love the sheet water with grass.....Plus, every pond in the mountains around Henshaw that's been dry has water in it now.

Valley Center golf course is the perfect example.....All the ponds were pretty much dry with lots of pond weed, bulrush, and water grass in the bottoms....They are now full and absolutely jammed with widgeon.

ps......Huntin' was pretty good where I was too.....;)

.View attachment 29484

Yeah I figured the hour glass, swan lake, and all the others are just loaded.

I made a little something different with the teal. I grilled them with olive oil, salt and pepper. I then made yakisoba noodles and seasoned them together. It was terrific.

IMG_2290.JPG IMG_2292.JPG IMG_2293.JPG

Reactions: Grandmesa79
Good stuff! And tons of water is right... lots of other options now. Even the birds that start off on the lake now have the option to just bug out and never come back once the shooting starts. Crossing the SLR river was fun this morning. That sucker was 100ft across 4 ft deep and flowing fast enough to knock you off your feet once you got above the knees. Lake came up over 5" overnight. Completely changed the playing field.

Tom,

How'd you end up doing?.....And be really careful with the SLR.....Nothing to mess with when it's flowing like that.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu