SUCCESSFUL Alaska Black Bear hunt and Halibut Fishing

kylemg0009

Jan 20, 2015
Costa Mesa, CA
Got back yesterday from my Alaska trip. All I can say is wow. I realize how lucky I am that for my first big game hunt, I got to go to Alaska. We filled both black bear tags and hit a daily halibut limit 4 days in a row. The hunting got stressful as there was emergency order to end black bear hunting. I was able to harvest mine 30 minutes before the end of the season. My buddy was able to get his a few days earlier. A lot of amazing stories behind all the photos listed below. the Bald Eagle perched up on that Flag pole on Memorial Day which was a site to be seen. Both the hunting and fishing were done out of the small town of Seldovia, AK.

We were able to travel back with around 200lbs of halibut all together. All bear meet was donated to our host's neighbors. Both bear hides are currently at a taxidermist for tanning.

Attachments

• Kyle1.jpg
    Kyle1.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Kyle2.jpg
    Kyle2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Kyle3.jpg
    Kyle3.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 83
Yep - great post Kyle. Nice job on the game! Good looking bear.

very cool! Alaska is pretty rad!

Great hunt! Congrats! What's with no black bear hunting in AK?!?! Did I read that right?

Bonejour, from what I understood is that they were closing the spring season a couple weeks early, they might have met the quota for bears taken in that Unit. That would make the most sense.

Lungpopper said:
Sounds like you had a great trip. How was your weather?

We were very lucky with weather. the first few days it was high 40s- low 50s with very light on and off drizzle. the last several days were sunny and 60s-70s.

Glad you got your bear. You'd think if they met their quota they'd still honor tags sold to nonresidents. Weird way to welcome out of state hunters.

Bonejour said:
Glad you got your bear. You'd think if they met their quota they'd still honor tags sold to nonresidents. Weird way to welcome out of state hunters.
Yeah you'd think so, however they do allow, if I do not harvest lets say a black bear, I can then hunt any other species that tag costs equal or less than the bear tag.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu