Summary of Waterfowl Season 2021-22 in pictures

Highlight of the year were these 2
Juvie Blues that I doubled on . This season was my 50th season hunting Wister; never shooting a Blue before.
I have been in the blind many times when a Blue was taken; always never on my side. Many times when hunting alone I almost was able to pull the trigger; but they wouldn’t come close enough or flare away at the last moment.
So to have these 2 come right in backpedaling into the decoys was something special.
Later after the dog had retrieved them and they were laying in the pit I was thinking “ Did that just happen ??” Wish one of them had been a adult; but happy as crap just the same !!8D6702FA-8788-455C-A847-5161EDBCC807.png4A111982-1D40-4E6F-9608-B07BAD609417.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Juvie Blues that I doubled on . This season was my 50th season hunting Wister; never shooting a Blue before.
I have been in the blind many times when a Blue was taken; always never on my side. Many times when hunting alone I almost was able to pull the trigger; but they wouldn’t come close enough or flare away at the last moment.
So to have these 2 come right in backpedaling into the decoys was something special.
Later after the dog had retrieved them and they were laying in the pit I was thinking “ Did that just happen ??” Wish one of them had been a adult; but happy as crap just the same !!View attachment 53177View attachment 53178

Congrats Kevin......... :clap:

Later after the dog had retrieved them and they were laying in the pit I was thinking “ Did that just happen ??” Wish one of them had been a adult; but happy as crap just the same !!View attachment 53177View attachment 53178
Nice! I am more impressed with 50 seasons of hunting Wister. Life time of experience. The stories you could tell.

John

Reactions: ilovesprig
John,

It has changed a lot...Didn't realize how much I missed it after hunting the last week-end of the season out there...... :heart:

.View attachment 53267
You have no idea how much I envy you guys. You guys got into legit pheasants in So Cal before it was over developed. You guys were hunting San Diego Bay. Deer were everywhere with far less pressure. And hunting Wister when the Sea had way more water to hold ducks. I have had great duck hunts but nothing like the flocks you guys would have seen back in the day. Then again, it has to hurt having seen it that good and watched how things have changed. Just in my brief time. SJ had legit pheasant hunting and that has completely stopped. The Sea is shrinking and we are seeing less Snows then we used to. Deer are not as numerous and the hunting pressure has gone up. Maybe less hunters now but they are all hunting the same public areas. You guys have a lot to reflect on as you think back on all you have seen.

John

You have no idea how much I envy you guys. You guys got into legit pheasants in So Cal before it was over developed. You guys were hunting San Diego Bay. Deer were everywhere with far less pressure. And hunting Wister when the Sea had way more water to hold ducks. I have had great duck hunts but nothing like the flocks you guys would have seen back in the day. Then again, it has to hurt having seen it that good and watched how things have changed. Just in my brief time. SJ had legit pheasant hunting and that has completely stopped. The Sea is shrinking and we are seeing less Snows then we used to. Deer are not as numerous and the hunting pressure has gone up. Maybe less hunters now but they are all hunting the same public areas. You guys have a lot to reflect on as you think back on all you have seen.

John

John,

The price you pay for living old....Many great times and hunts were had right here in SD Co............... :blush:

Roosters from the corner of Hwy 76 and where College Blvd is today...Honkers too...1977-78

.005.JPG006.JPG004.JPG014.JPG

It has changed a lot...Didn't realize how much I missed it after hunting the last week-end of the season out there...... :heart:

Same here Steve. I didn't hunt it much either this season. Kind of felt off my game because of that. Hunting Wister often really keeps you in tune with what's happening down there. Had quite a few places I wanted to check out but didn't. I remember knowing what practically every site looked like. No so much anymore. It's ever evolving & even faster when you have been there much.

Glad you had some good hunts this year. Hopefully we'll both be there more often next season.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Same here Steve. I didn't hunt it much either this season. Kind of felt off my game because of that. Hunting Wister often really keeps you in tune with what's happening down there. Had quite a few places I wanted to check out but didn't. I remember knowing what practically every site looked like. No so much anymore. It's ever evolving & even faster when you have been there much.

Glad you had some good hunts this year. Hopefully we'll both be there more often next season.

Matty,

It was great seeing you....Not many of the old crowd left these days....:(

.022.JPG

I was out there a lot and kept looking for familiar faces . Disappointed by how few I knew . The days of saying Wister was “Our duck club” are over . Sadly ! Oldquack 49

Larry,

"Our duck club" was a great era...Even made hats for the guys at the "Friends of Wister" work parties....11 years ago.... :blush:

.wister work party 8-20-11 038.JPGtof sign party 8-10-11 007.JPGtof hats 002.JPG

No chance of getting that group reestablished?

John

John,

I don't see it happening...There's so little communication between hunters and Wister management (unlike San J)...The core leaders are either really old, have moved, no longer hunt Wister, or have passed away...Hope someday, someone will pick up the ball... :(

Reactions: Old Quack 49
My experience talking to the new management, chris is open minded on suggestions from hunters,I did ask to have 413 cleared out to exspose the alkali bullrush also to go into Y15 A&B remove the alkali bullrush and transplant it, before it gets disc ,we will see next season if management is open minded for suggestions. Lol

My experience talking to the new management, chris is open minded on suggestions from hunters,I did ask to have 413 cleared out to exspose the alkali bullrush also to go into Y15 A&B remove the alkali bullrush and transplant it, before it gets disc ,we will see next season if management is open minded for suggestions. Lol

That sounds encouraging....Have not met Chris....Wister has a lot of unique problems, when it comes to habitat...Not the least of which is salt cedar...Manpower and good equipment is needed to control and in recent years, both have been lacking...This is 413 just 3 seasons ago...Let's hope the new regime will get the support they need.

.013.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Scal les

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu