Sutherland jake!

Lifesaver832

Mar 3, 2018
I had the privilege of hunting Lake Sutherland yesterday after getting drawn last year. Didn't think it was going to happen after being canceled because of Covid. I would like to thank all those who made it possible.

I hunted Camp Hope. Early in the day I moved & set up right next to the playground because that's where multiple hens kept going. Around noon I was getting gobbles & saw a longbeard with my binoculars moving down the hill. Just then a guy parked next to the gate & walked down the road between me & the Tom. That was the end of that. I was pissed. When I checked out the city employee said he was collecting seeds. All I know is he shouldn't be there on hunt days.

Anyway, the day ended on I positive note. At the witching hour, I started getting gobbles again. I was at 3:45 & they want you out by 4. Sure enough, a Jake was coming down the hill. He was committed. He was just about to the road when the hunter from the Corral was driving down the road & approaching. He was kind enough to stop. The bird got spooked & turned back up the hill. It was now or never so I took the shot. Bird down! The other hunter's range finder said 40 yards. I was stoked!

Attachments

• 20210414_161041.jpg
    20210414_161041.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210414_154239.jpg
    20210414_154239.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 35
I had the privilege of hunting Lake Sutherland yesterday after getting drawn last year. Didn't think it was going to happen after being canceled because of Covid. I would like to thank all those who made it possible.

I hunted Camp Hope. Early in the day I moved & set up right next to the playground because that's where multiple hens kept going. Around noon I was getting gobbles & saw a longbeard with my binoculars moving down the hill. Just then a guy parked next to the gate & walked down the road between me & the Tom. That was the end of that. I was pissed. When I checked out the city employee said he was collecting seeds. All I know is he shouldn't be there on hunt days.

Anyway, the day ended on I positive note. At the witching hour, I started getting gobbles again. I was at 3:45 & they want you out by 4. Sure enough, a Jake was coming down the hill. He was committed. He was just about to the road when the hunter from the Corral was driving down the road & approaching. He was kind enough to stop. The bird got spooked & turned back up the hill. It was now or never so I took the shot. Bird down! The other hunter's range finder said 40 yards. I was stoked!
Congrats on the bird way to stick it out. Talked with the city and the seed collector wasn't supposed to be out there until today.
needless to say the company got an ass chewing and it won't happen again.

Congrats....A fine season at Sutherland for sure.... :clap:

ps....That big tom has been there all season....Dodged the bullet again....:blush:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu