Sutherland Turkey hunt

wheels

Mar 1, 2011
East County, Ca
sdcvc.com
A long day today a Sutherland in the bloomdale location. It was a big goose egg. We saw 5 hens. There is nothing in the bloomdale area of the lake. Rained off and on.

Result so far

3/30 Jake Brown's Cove
4/1 Tom Corral
4/3 Jake Bloomdale
4/3 Jake Camp Hope
4/6 Jake Bloomdale
4/8 Jake Corral
4/10 Jake Camp Hope
4/10 Jake Camp Hope
4/10 Jake Corral

4/13 nothing taken
4/14 all of the hunters I talked to nothing taken

Attachments

• 20130415_143615.jpg
    20130415_143615.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Yesterday was horrible turkey hunting weather, I think I heard four gobbles all day. The area to set up in bloomdale are those oaks at the far end of the valley in the picture. The birds almost always roost in those trees. Midday the toms will sometimes go up hill where it looks like you're set up. For those who are going to be hunting there, set up between those two area to the east. There should be some oaks in that area.

That picture was our last stand of the day. What Matagi said is correct. Follow that draw all the way up and I recommend going past that area. It goes up and it narrows out. Stop before it narrows out. I watched 2 groups of turkeys possible same group that came by twice. They will run the top of the valley and work the sides of the oaks. The key is patience and don't get crazy with your calling. That draw will end on private property. I watched the turkey go right under the fence. Pray for sun and hopefully you will have a better day.

If you have a spot light I recommend it to get across the lake to help guide you in the dark

Yes take a spot light but park the boat in a small cove before bloomdale, the birds will see the light and will know exactly where you're going. If you walk the arm floor up to the top, either take a red light or no light at all oh and be as quiet as humanly possible. I would put a single hen out and do very little calling. Stick to low purrs and clucks. Listen to what the hens are doing and copy them.

Thanks for all the tips

Matthew (15yr old son)and I hunted Bloomdale yesterday and although we heard birds several times throughout the AM they would not come to us. I guess someday Matt will get one but it was good just spending time with my boy plus got to see deer and a golden Eagle.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu