Sweet little .22LR

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Take a look at this little beauty. A friend gave me this .22LR Winchester Wildcat yesterday. He'd never fired it but clearly it had seen a lot of use. I fired it yesterday and it gave somewhat respectable groups at 100 yds.

The barrel is okay inside and has a little rust on the outside metal. Last night I field-stripped the bolt and gave it a thorough cleaning. The fore-end was slightly warped and touching the barrel on the right side (that is the problem with wood stocks, of course: variation with environmental conditions and potential to warp over time. I love wood stocks but it's hard to beat synthetic for ease of care.) I had a few options to correct it but it has to be corrected. There was no point sighting it in till the barrel was completely free-floating. I only needed about 1/16 of an inch so I didn't think anyone would notice the asymmetry that will result if I simply file the inside of the fore end. That is a pretty standard fix anyway for this problem unless the stock is extremely expensive. Anyway if I botched it, I could always buy a new stock.

I took it apart and used a half round file on right inner right surface of the fore end till I had the desired clearance. It took 3-4 tries till I had it how I wanted with it all torqued down. Once I had the clearance I wanted, I torqued it down (18 inch lbs ought to do it for a .22... It was torqued to only 10-12 in-lb when I started) with blue threadlock.
The pic of the fore-end is "before". You can see where the contact was.

The last pic shows the desired clearance (plain sheet of paper should slide easily the full length of the barrel.
I have a video but the site doesn't support .MOV files and it isn't worth converting. you get the idea.

I may head to the range today to sight it in.
"Got bunnies?" ;D

Attachments

• image(1).jpg
    image(1).jpg
    848 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 12
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    729.4 KB · Views: 12
Congrats Don...........Love the older rim fires...........Feel like real rifles and in many cases were the gun of choice in the old days.

Here's a great article on .22,
.22 long and .22LR rounds. http://www.chuckhawks.com/22_rimfire_cartridges.htm
What do do all think of this direct quote, which parallels discussion from Ghost's recent thread on the best rabbit round:
"The LR High Velocity HP cartridge is the queen of small game hunting loads. The MV of Winchester's Super-X load with a 37 grain hollow point bullet is 1,280 fps from a 22" test barrel with ME of 135 ft. lbs. The figures at 100 yards are 1015 fps and 85 ft. lbs. The mid-range trajectory of this load is 3.5" over 100 yards.

Zero a scoped .22 rifle using this load to hit 1.4" high at 50 yards and the bullet will not deviate more than 1.5" above or below the line of sight from the muzzle out to about 90 yards. This usefully flat trajectory allows humane head shots on squirrels and rabbits at the ranges at which they are usually hunted. CCI Mini-Mag, Federal Classic, Remington Golden Bullet and Winchester Super-X are all excellent brands of .22 LR hollow point hunting ammunition."
Interested in your thoughts.

Bonejour said:
Here's a great article on .22,
.22 long and .22LR rounds. http://www.chuckhawks.com/22_rimfire_cartridges.htm
What do do all think of this direct quote, which parallels discussion from Ghost's recent thread on the best rabbit round:
"The LR High Velocity HP cartridge is the queen of small game hunting loads. The MV of Winchester's Super-X load with a 37 grain hollow point bullet is 1,280 fps from a 22" test barrel with ME of 135 ft. lbs. The figures at 100 yards are 1015 fps and 85 ft. lbs. The mid-range trajectory of this load is 3.5" over 100 yards.

Zero a scoped .22 rifle using this load to hit 1.4" high at 50 yards and the bullet will not deviate more than 1.5" above or below the line of sight from the muzzle out to about 90 yards. This usefully flat trajectory allows humane head shots on squirrels and rabbits at the ranges at which they are usually hunted. CCI Mini-Mag, Federal Classic, Remington Golden Bullet and Winchester Super-X are all excellent brands of .22 LR hollow point hunting ammunition."
Interested in your thoughts.

Bonejour

Hey that's an awesome link brother thank you for that. I read both links about the 22 LR. Interesting read.
You know me I like reading this kind of stuff.

I would say backs up what all said on my post about the best Ammo 22 LR for rabbits.
I will have stop at FF before it's all gone.

Ghost

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu