SxS 20 gauge

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
I’m on the lookout for a SxS 20 gauge, gun needs to be good quality under 3k if you have anything, of or would recommend anything in particular let me know.

I've always been a O/U guy when it came to double guns, but I have an old friend that has a 20 gauge, Winchester Mod. 21 that I have 1st dibs on...Love that gun.

.winchester 21.jpg

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Model 21's are classic old school, love them. SXS guns with english style straight grip stocks and double triggers are my favorite, I have heard them called gentlemans guns because of the old school provinance that comes with them. Read about Nash Buckingham and his back bored waterfowliong guns that he used on the Misssisippi in the early part of the last century and how they were so good at taking waterfowl and the heritage that comes with guns like that. My wife (bless her soul) bought me a a Berreta silverhawk in 20ga for my birthday the first year after we were married after buying me a set of Leica 12x50 binos for a wedding gift (can't go wrong with a gal like that) It was way more of a gun cost wise ( a little over 3K) than I would have ever bought for myself but it handles and shoots like no other shotgun I have ever owned when I do my job. So don't over look the Berreta's because of cost. CZ puts out some nice stuff that is affordable so I would suggest you look their line over cost wise but the buy once cry once comes along with that. A quality gun that gets passed down through the family over generations is not a bad thing either....

Last edited:
I currently use a Webley and Scott over and under 20, I just grew up shooting a SxS Ithaca and want to get back into one. Doubles are too much fun!

Also got a Browning Citori 20 o/u made in Japan in the 90's nothing wrong with that either. I just like the side by side feel better, just a personal choice, I don't think any one is better, the Browning swings a little faster because of weight but I can make up for that when I do my job.

I had a Beretta Silverhawk and sold it. It just never fit me well. Amazing wood on it. I currently shoot an Ithica (made by SKB - Japan) and I love it. It is a copy of the Browning BSS which is a great shotgun as well. There are a few good ones out there for sure.

I’ve been looking at the shotguns produced by razzini. Apparently they are the largest maker of sxs in Italy.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I had a Beretta Silverhawk and sold it. It just never fit me well. Amazing wood on it. I currently shoot an Ithica (made by SKB - Japan) and I love it. It is a copy of the Browning BSS which is a great shotgun as well. There are a few good ones out there for sure.
NBK- what about the Citori 20 you used to shoot over the Otay grain crop piles near the airstrip in Chula when I first met you ? You shot that thing like the hammer of Thor..way back when... It inspired me to buy the Citori that still sit's in my safe.... Do you still have it ? I have a Rem 1100 in 20 that I was given in 1974 by my uncle that I will never sell and shoots like when it was made... My wIfe used to shoot the Japanese sxs Browning that we still use as a field utility gun. No blueing or stock finish left on it but it goes boom every time you pull the trigger.....

Reactions: Blkpowder Hunter
NBK- what about the Citori 20 you used to shoot over the Otay grain crop piles near the airstrip in Chula when I first met you ? You shot that thing like the hammer of Thor..way back when... It inspired me to buy the Citori that still sit's in my safe.... Do you still have it ? I have a Rem 1100 in 20 that I was given in 1974 by my uncle that I will never sell and shoots like when it was made... My wIfe used to shoot the Japanese sxs Browning that we still use as a field utility gun. No blueing or stock finish left on it but it goes boom every time you pull the trigger.....
I still shoot the Citori my father gave me quite often. It is my primary dove gun. The side by side is my dedicated quail gun. There is nothing better on quail for me anyway..

Had some braised quail and mushrooms last Thursday courtesy of my double gun and dog.

20210902_192700.jpg

Take a look at that BSS and tall me what you think, I don’t really know shotguns to well

Attachments

• 3C0B9390-5F83-4DDE-8A57-99D8C26458F8.jpeg
    3C0B9390-5F83-4DDE-8A57-99D8C26458F8.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 33
If it's choked right, I would jump on it Chris. The BSS is an amazing double gun.

And if you get it and don't like it, I will buy it from you. So it is a win-win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blkpowder Hunter
You will like a 20 gauge side by side. I have a old Parker , what a hoot to shoot. It's a little more expensive to shoot because of the California lead ban. I reload bismuth so I can save a few bucks.

Parkers are wonderful. They scream American!

Reactions: ilovesprig
Just picked up the CZ Bobwhite in 28ga. Had a lot of fun w/it during dove season and now waiting on Quail to open.

I recently bought a FAIR ISIDE 20 gauge - FAIR is one of the 4 Rizzini families of gunmakers. It’s a hell of a gun for $1700. I needed to shorten it by about 3/4” but the cast is right and I shoot well with it. It does have extractors rather than ejectors and an auto safety and the wood and case coloring are very basic, but it’s a very light, well built gun.

frankE25A82B0-69AD-4EAA-AF83-7C79E121D4CF.jpeg

I recently bought a FAIR ISIDE 20 gauge - FAIR is one of the 4 Rizzini families of gunmakers. It’s a hell of a gun for $1700. I needed to shorten it by about 3/4” but the cast is right and I shoot well with it. It does have extractors rather than ejectors and an auto safety and the wood and case coloring are very basic, but it’s a very light, well built gun.

frankView attachment 51056
I’ve been looking at these. You wouldn’t be willing to do a review with more photos would you? I’d love to handle one but they seem to be a special order only proposition. FAIR themselves couldn’t tell me who might carry them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu