Tag Soup and Buddies Success

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Well it was an incredible D16 this season and retaught me some humble pie after fairly easy successes the last two years. This year I am eating tag soup even though I saw more public land bucks and does than I have ever seen in a single season, just was not able to close the deal (never fired a round).

Also, I noticed a large uptick in other hunters willingness to hike several miles and seen many hunters where I never seen others before.

Lastly, here is my buddies son’s private land buck. He yearly pulls bucks like this because they manage it so that no deer under 4.5 gets shot. They had been watching this one for over 4.5 years and watched it grow before it was taking. I cropped my buddies son’s head off on purpose.

7731144F-BC7C-4A11-9AF3-CD5C0E12A445.jpeg13436DEE-DA53-42A6-BB2C-7FFA7392D881.jpeg

Great buck....I did the same thing on a property that I manage.....Then the neighbor started shooting anything that moves.....Great while it lasted.

Tonight I hunted with my daughter on this ranch.....We saw 5 different bucks and nothing more than a small spork.....Lions have become a problem here too.....They like the bucks.

Great buck....I did the same thing on a property that I manage.....Then the neighbor started shooting anything that moves.....Great while it lasted.

I was thinking about this exact thing. For Mule deer your property has to be quite large for true deer management unless you have all the surrounding neighbors involved as well.

I applaud these guys for practicing shooting older bucks, but I would love to review some facts of if it is actually working. It is obvious that it worked for them in this case, but what if the neighbor wanted to shoot this deer at a 2 year old.

If you can attract and hold the does, you will get the bucks on and off for a month a year during the rut. At that point it is easier to make the decision to shoot an older buck since you have more options.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I was thinking about this exact thing. For Mule deer your property has to be quite large for true deer management unless you have all the surrounding neighbors involved as well.

I applaud these guys for practicing shooting older bucks, but I would love to review some facts of if it is actually working. It is obvious that it worked for them in this case, but what if the neighbor wanted to shoot this deer at a 2 year old.

If you can attract and hold the does, you will get the bucks on and off for a month a year during the rut. At that point it is easier to make the decision to shoot an older buck since you have more options.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I working on this year. Mine and my neighbors. I have full support.
Any tips would be appreciated.
One idea I am planting acorns every where. Now how to water them and protect them.

Lee,

You'd be better off planting crab apples.....Much shorter time for fruit, perfectly legal, and deer love them.

Plus, once established, normal rainfall will suffice.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Lee,

You'd be better off planting crab apples.....Much shorter time for fruit, perfectly legal, and deer love them.

Plus, once established, normal rainfall will suffice.
Tell me more Steve all good advice
Is appreciated. Didn't think of crab apple trees. How often to water to start. Any specific nursery?
I have water trough already

Lee,

Most any nursery should be able to help you.....Nowadays, you can probably go on Google and get them sent to your home.....They will have to have fences around them initially.....We water them about every 3 days depending on the weather.....After about one year, they should survive on their own. Deer like the buds, leaves, and stems....Hence, the fencing.

These are about one year old trees yesterday.

.240.JPG247.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu