Tag soup side of humble pie

JosueMoney

Apr 1, 2018
This is my 4th year hunting deer. I got a G13. I thought it would be an easy hunt without much prep due to crazy life and the pandemic. I hunted 10 times this year during my tag time. Unfortunately I didn't get a shot off. I did have multiple encounters and saw more life this time then any other time in my hunt life. I slowed down, read the wind, read the habitat, and had many deer in sight. I also had a button buck chasing a doe while I sat and waited. I bumped a bobcat. All of that happened on the last time I was out. Huge shoutout to Quepasajames for the the advice.
Things I've learned
-slow the hell down
-slow the fuck down!!!!
-take your time
-read the wind
-be prepared for the cold
I had a great time this season learned a lot. I think next year I'm taking PTO and staying out longer........
Oh and make sure you have good gear! You get what you pay for, do the research!

You have the right spirit. Trying to get it done is the best part. Being out there in the elements, and learning, and seeing new things. It will all come together and you will be more satisfied because you put in the effort. Sure, you could go hunt some private property and whack a buck the first day. That's fun, but it is not as fulfilling. Doing it the hard way is extremely fulfilling because you did it, on your own. That's the best way to learn and become a more intuitive hunter. Good on you! Don't buckle and book a guided hunt. Keep at it! Do it. Do it.

You have the right spirit. Trying to get it done is the best part. Being out there in the elements, and learning, and seeing new things. It will all come together and you will be more satisfied because you put in the effort. Sure, you could go hunt some private property and whack a buck the first day. That's fun, but it is not as fulfilling. Doing it the hard way is extremely fulfilling because you did it, on your own. That's the best way to learn and become a more intuitive hunter. Good on you! Don't buckle and book a guided hunt. Keep at it! Do it. Do it.

Well put, Brent

Reactions: JosueMoney
Tag Soup is over rated. Being present in the field and enjoying the day is a success in itself. Seeing animals just ads to the experience. Harvesting animals is a fun experience, but its success can be influenced to a high degree on how much time is spent in the field. Full circle. Enjoy the moment.

Tag soup only means you had the opportunity. The time spent is the prize and joy of it all . My field time has been cut short in recent years because of my wifes needs. Previous to that I spent many years in Cali and Az walking looking and glassing at the end of the day it was way better than a day at work and I still remember those days without harvest as well as the days I struck gold. Its the journey not the destination that matters and lives forever in your mind.

Reactions: JosueMoney

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu