Tagged out

bassin_rob

Nov 7, 2016
Bittersweet moment. Filled my second tag yesterday on a beautiful local buck and beyond blessed to have gotten 2 great bucks this season. Feel super lucky but a little bummed my season is over.
Got to my glassing spot around 5:25 set up the tripod on my favorite glassing rock preparing to scour the hills. Morning started off a bit slow with 2 spikes and a doe about 500 yards away right off the bat. Shortly after spotted 2 more bucks and a doe about 1500 yards away. One was a little baby fork and the other appeared to be either a defent fork or possibly a small 3x3. Decided to stay where I was at and keep glassing. Season is still young and I was confident I could find something bigger. So I sit there and glass for a while longer and everything disappears besides a doe that grazed towards me about 300 yards away. As I was as packing up my gear to my to the next ridge I look over and I see a deer staring at me at 150 yards. Out my binos on him and see 2 bucks and a doe broadside just a chip shot away. I get down probe line up the shot but he’s got a bunch of branches in the way. After a minute or so he begins to walk and as soon as he clears the brush I unleashed the 180 grain Berger at 3100 FPS and he drops like a rock. Yanked the shot a bit due to excitement and hit a tad bit high. But he didn’t take a step other than the 30-40 yards he tumbled down the cliff side. Had about a 3 mile packout. Most of which was easy trail, but the first 100 yards or so was straight up a cliff in soft sand. Took me almost 90 min to go 100 yards. He’s a pretty heavy 3x3 with great bases and judging by how worn his teeth are he’s an old buck. All in all couldn’t be more blessed to have had such an incredible season. Thankfully my little brother just turned 12 so I get to take him out and hopefully help him be successful on his first ever hunt.

.4D3A3B62-DD91-4BB1-AACC-698FD2889445.jpegFCFA73E9-01CF-456B-88DE-7C319A96F1A6.jpegC68C0FBB-52A1-4CDF-82EE-754AE01B30C6.jpegC7DE9A0D-83C1-44ED-B099-6C2285140869.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on. Cant wait to see your brother knock one down.
Awesome to see public land success

That is a great D16 buck! Congrats man! I told myself I didn’t want to kill a little buck for my second tag either. Will see what happens in AZ though. My Mom wants meat too.

Coolest thing happened today. Went out to help some buddies pack out bucks and I stumbled on a set of sheds from pry 2-3 years ago that definitely came off the buck I killed yesterday. Must have been good karma for helping them pack out. Definitely the coolest thing I’ve ever found out in the hills.

.23AB6699-AE8F-4DC8-89EE-DEB264F0F5D8.jpeg6BD21A5C-4F82-4195-8848-43BBEF4B16E7.jpeg99349A6A-DEA7-4E2D-AFA7-0AF746ACE972.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu