Tagged out

Srfnkill

Oct 25, 2011
Sunday, Mergrath (Tim) and I headed out in hopes to fill a tag. We got to our spot and set up. I would look down hill and he stayed above. An hour into the morning I spotted a few deer and could tell at least one was a buck. I didn't wait to see what he was and headed down after him. I tried to text and radio Tim that I was heading down after a buck but neither reached him. The buck was about 3/4 mile away. I closed the gap quickly and set up for a shot. Due to a big ravine I couldn't get closer then 330 yards. So I waited until he moved in hopes of him getting closer. Well the buck followed his doe down hill and a little closer to about 300 yards.. A few shoots later he dropped. I never really looked at his horns except to see he was legal. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked up on this buck.

Well, I was along ways down this steep hill with a dead buck. My radio goes off and it's Tim telling me he spotted a buck along ways off on top of the hill. I told him I had one down but to go after the one he spotted. I knew he will kill it and I was going to have to carry this thing out solo. I was screwed. I quartered it out and tossed it all on my pack and started up. Now, I think i'm in pretty good shape. I CrossFit 5-6 days a week along with 2-3 days of a heavy squat program and mix in some extra running/ hiking but this hike killed me. I would only make it 50' at times and have to take my pack off and rest because my legs were cramping so bad. It took me roughly 90 minutes to go about 2 miles but I made it to the jeep. After a few high fives and a beer we headed off in the jeep to pick up his pack with his buck on it.

Now that my both my A-22 and D-16 tags are filled I get to help a few friends and their kids fill their tags. I love helping just as much as being the one with the tag in my pocket.

Attachments

• IMG_5254.JPG
    IMG_5254.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_5235.JPG
    IMG_5235.JPG
    556.3 KB · Views: 52
That is a great buck Sammy. And I was completely feeling your pain regarding the over-weight pack! Were you shooting your new Tikka?

Wow what a nice buck. Great story too. You'll remember it long after your legs recover.

Nice bucks boys... I think you walk a little faster than my fat ass. But I can relate to that leg burning thing... except mine last 2 days later...

Congratulations guys. That is a hell of a fork. You score it yet?

Lungpopper said:
Nice, You guys are having a great year. Don't you still have some Elk tags to fill?
We were close a few time in CO. Actually had one shot in front of us as we were lining up our shots on two bulls.

NBK said:
Were you shooting your new Tikka?

Yes sir. It's done me well.

BuckHunter said:
Congratulations guys. That is a hell of a fork. You score it yet?
Not yet.

So sick, Very nice story! Got less then a week to fill my first tag in d14. Have a good hunt with your buddies!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu