Taking 4 year old fishing for the first time

barretwm

Oct 20, 2018
Any advise on where to take a 4 y/o fishing for the first time? Is there a list on which lakes and when they last stocked them. When I was a kid old man use to take us to stocked trout streams just so that there was plenty of action and kept us engaged.

Any advise on where to take a 4 y/o fishing for the first time? Is there a list on which lakes and when they last stocked them. When I was a kid old man use to take us to stocked trout streams just so that there was plenty of action and kept us engaged.

Unfortunately, stocked streams and easy catches are a thing of the past for the most part...I'd wait till spring or summer and find some local ponds or lakes that have bluegill and other panfish...Lake Henshaw has a good population of all species.

What area do you live?

Last edited:
Reactions: BOWUNTR
Lake Jennings and Santee are actively stocking trout right now. I think lake dixon and poway as well. Just check their websites for stocking schedule. My 10yr old daughter caught a trout at Santee a few weeks ago at the kids derby and I caught 4 there last week.

Reactions: MJB
I can offer you my pond in the back country of SD county. I have bass, bluegill, catfish and redear but right now its bit cold for the fish to respond very well . Get back in touch towards the end of May and I'll help you get your little one on some fish.
Very nice offer.

Reactions: BOWUNTR
I'd say Lake Cahuilla They are having a fishing derby this coming weekend stocking the lake tomorrow will have about 2500lbs trout stocked total after the stock the lake will be closed to fishing until the derby on Sat. But it maybe a bit far for you to go as it is in Indio. They are promoting kids fishing all the time and may close off the best part of the lake for kids only to fish. They will also have volunteers to help show kids and first timers how to setup their gear. Cost is $10.00 to the county to fish & $10.00 to DVO for the derby. There is camping but that is going to sell out fast. $25 a day for tent. $35 a day or $100 for a week for site with hookups.

Watching. Took my 4 year old out but he lost interest walking Banks hunting for bass with no success. I need to find some action to keep his attention

Here is the stocking schedule for the state. They are not doing as much as they used to.

Regional parks could be a good option if they have been stocked. Some receive plantings though the county or private companies in addition to the state, so calling ahead might be helpful. Nice thing for the little ones is that most have playgrounds and other things to keep the kids entertained if the fishing is slow. Tip: Bring a nice variety of special snacks. Even if the fishing doesn't pan out, the kids will remember the snacks and want to go again!

Wait for spring and take them to the Sierra's. Back in the day, I took my nephew and 2 nieces numerous years, in the spring, starting when they were very young. During that time of year I would not chose a campground until I was there; if you camp to high, it's much to cold for the kids at night and in the mornings. Hit the higher elevation lakes that are open enough to fish. The guys above are correct, when they are young, quantity trumps quality. Most trips, when they were very young, I spent all my time baiting, casting, handing them the rod (they usually already had a fish on in that short time) and putting the fish on the stringer. Once the weather warms, the bite seriously slows. These trips are memories they are still very fond of and will remember for their lifetime. Hell I remember them too, I can still hear my nephew saying in that very young child's voice Uncle XXXXXX, what's a PBJ.

Come spring time when the crappie take off would be a great time to take them. Any pan fish, as long as they are in large numbers, that's the key.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu