Thanks for having me

Drove out to Ramona to pick up a cage trap, i can dam near park the vette in it. Should make a good coyote trap. Talked to the property owner and he gave me alot of good info on the wildlife, predators, and issues him and other property owners have been having in the area with loss of live stock. Gave him my Contact info and let him know I will trap for him and his neighbors for free with written permission to trap and hunt on their property. Hopefully I will be able to add Ramona to the TrapLine.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
You will catch dogs, cats, racoons, skunks and lots of other critters in that trap but I have never seen a coyote caught in one. I have a friend who catches coyotes every day and he says they are too smart to go in one.

First Turkey hunt today! I can finally get out of the newb den.

Arrived at Spenceville around 7am this morning, about 600 miles from the OC, but made for an awesome first hunt. Got to the check station and got all the paperwork and permits done and they opened the road for me. Parked and got out to gobbles everywhere in the trees. I started hiking up to a point where gobbles were coming from and by the time I got up there all signs of them totally disappeared. I set up a blind and put out my decoys and went for walk around the hill my blind was set up on following a creek to a pond. Glassed the area stopping every so often and looking around for nada. After a few hours made my way back to my blind and started calling. Its seems the calls only attracted other hunters, I didnt see anyone when I was out walking around and now I can see three hunters in different directions from my blind. Once they realized it was me calling they slowly dspersed. With no gobbles and my spot busted wide open I hiked to another spot and set up decoys. This time I was trying in a little wetland area next to a creek and a pond. Found a good spot to set up with the same results. With no response I was moving and only saw hunters making their way that direction chasing my calls again. Set up in another two spots a few miles away and had to take the skunk for the day. Was good to get out there though and give it a shot. Learned alot and need to make some tweaks to my gear like leave some at home and replace with other. Tracked it on OnX and 7 miles of hiking. The app worked good tracking me even when the cell service dropped, it just drains battery like crazy. Since Its not the home field I dont mind sharing my tracks. See if you can find the turkey there.

Next up Howard Slough in May, i think I need to head to San Diego In between to practice.

Attachments

• 78A1557B-B040-4DBC-8541-B1C9F7DDA477.jpeg
    78A1557B-B040-4DBC-8541-B1C9F7DDA477.jpeg
    540.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: longbowhunter2
First Turkey hunt today! I can finally get out of the newb den.

Arrived at Spenceville around 7am this morning, about 600 miles from the OC, but made for an awesome first hunt. Got to the check station and got all the paperwork and permits done and they opened the road for me. Parked and got out to gobbles everywhere in the trees. I started hiking up to a point where gobbles were coming from and by the time I got up there all signs of them totally disappeared. I set up a blind and put out my decoys and went for walk around the hill my blind was set up on following a creek to a pond. Glassed the area stopping every so often and looking around for nada. After a few hours made my way back to my blind and started calling. Its seems the calls only attracted other hunters, I didnt see anyone when I was out walking around and now I can see three hunters in different directions from my blind. Once they realized it was me calling they slowly dspersed. With no gobbles and my spot busted wide open I hiked to another spot and set up decoys. This time I was trying in a little wetland area next to a creek and a pond. Found a good spot to set up with the same results. With no response I was moving and only saw hunters making their way that direction chasing my calls again. Set up in another two spots a few miles away and had to take the skunk for the day. Was good to get out there though and give it a shot. Learned alot and need to make some tweaks to my gear like leave some at home and replace with other. Tracked it on OnX and 7 miles of hiking. The app worked good tracking me even when the cell service dropped, it just drains battery like crazy. Since Its not the home field I dont mind sharing my tracks. See if you can find the turkey there.

Next up Howard Slough in May, i think I need to head to San Diego In between to practice.
View attachment 38793View attachment 38794

View attachment 38795View attachment 38797View attachment 38798View attachment 38799
Beautiful area, thanks for sharing the hunting report..

Awesome pics. If everyone would have stayed put and had some patience I bet more turkeys would have been killed.

Not saying spot and stalk turkeys doesn't work, but walking around aimlessly hoping to stumble on a turkey sure could blow them out of an area and make them tough to call.

If I walk around the field in pursue of game Something I got used to do is to find out first if anybody else is around. Last thing I want to do is to walk right through another hunter’s set up. I hate when someone else does it to me, so I try my best not to f. Up somebody’s elses day.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Awesome pics. If everyone would have stayed put and had some patience I bet more turkeys would have been killed.

Not saying spot and stalk turkeys doesn't work, but walking around aimlessly hoping to stumble on a turkey sure could blow them out of an area and make them tough to call.

AMEN, NICK....The last two hunts it was all about patience and long distance calling...Turkeys (especially horny gobblers) roam all day...Loud box calls and glass over slate that ring out are what works...Get the strike and work 'em in with the soft stuff or diaphragms......;)

When I was getting in my car to drive back, these guys were across the street from where i was parked, 10 feet from the sidewalk rubbing it in making all kinds of noise. Damm Birds.....

When I was getting in my car to drive back, these guys were across the street from where i was parked, 10 feet from the sidewalk rubbing it in making all kinds of noise. Damm Birds.....

View attachment 38806

Was it 4 o clock yet? How close could you hunt to them?

Next time sit and wait.... when you think you are sitting too long, sit longer.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Mixed feeling....I've hunted many of the western states and they all are sunset...Don't think it's that big of deal....The beef is guys will hunt next to roost trees....They can do the same thing in the morning....Most birds fly up after sundown....So, unless the guy is pretty unethical....Won't matter much.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu