Thanks for having me

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Hi All,

Thanks for the add. Newbie here looking to learn some of the tricks of the trade and hopefully meet some new people in the field along the way. I am currently a big game surf fisherman and forums played a huge part in learning that skill and meeting new people along the way as well as some old salts that took me under their wing. Hopefully moving into hunting will provide the same experience. Similar to fishing where time on the sand teaches you the most I am assuming time in the field will translate to hunting.

I live in Santa Margarita in Orange County where the Saddle Back Mountains in Cleveland National Forrest is literally in my backyard but willing to travel also to explore. I have already e-scouted some spots and going to head out to walk a few in person over the weekend. I have always been an equal opportunity fisherman and plan to bring the same philosophy into my hunting, basically anything the laws and regs say can be legally hunted I am hunting, big, small, game, non game. Reliving the joys of the regs now. They always seem so overwhelming at first until you get them down and they become second nature.

Look forward to learning as much as I can from you seasoned guys on the forum a look forward to posting up some reports.

If anyone wants to take a green horn out to the field let me know, or any other newbies want to figure it out together I am down also, I cant finish my follow up class until March 2nd, when the next class will be near me, and have an appointment scheduled for my trapping license test scheduled for March 20th so until then it is scouting, learning, and gearing up. Will be asking for some recommendations and feedback on the gear, is going to be a complete re-tool from firearms and bows to boots.

PS, I will be contributing to your saltwater fishing category also.

Stay Safe out there,
JayRay

Hi Ray welcome
Your at good start.
Gear will be the ultimate goal. of all you want to hunt.
A lot of hard core hiking deep hunters here with a lot of knowledge.
Start out by reading all the pinned post in upland, big game, a lot of cool information there.
Also OnXhunt phone app.
It clearly defines public and private property. National forest, BLM , wildlife areas are places to go scout.
Good to read the California Game & Wildlife regulations.
Read a little at time.pick a subject
Read part of at time.

Reactions: TrapLine
Jay,

Welcome to SCH....Without a hunting license you can't put in for the hunting draws, but this Saturday is the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up at Lake Sutherland....Great place to meet fellow SCH'ers and learn the ropes of turkey hunting....CNF & DFW officials will both be there....So questions about upland and big game can be made to a people in person....You're about an 1 1/2 hours away and right in the CNF....Fun day.

ps....Like those leopards….;)

Jay,

Welcome to SCH....Without a hunting license you can't put in for the hunting draws, but this Saturday is the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up at Lake Sutherland....Great place to meet fellow SCH'ers and learn the ropes of turkey hunting....CNF & DFW officials will both be there....So questions about upland and big game can be made to a people in person....You're about an 1 1/2 hours away and right in the CNF....Fun day.

ps....Like those leopards….;)

I will have to catch the next event, promised the wife a trip to Pachanga this weekend so she can play the slot machines. A guarantee to keep getting my adventure passes signed off in the future.

Hi Ray welcome
Your at good start.
Gear will be the ultimate goal. of all you want to hunt.
A lot of hard core hiking deep hunters here with a lot of knowledge.
Start out by reading all the pinned post in upland, big game, a lot of cool information there.
Also OnXhunt phone app.
It clearly defines public and private property. National forest, BLM , wildlife areas are places to go scout.
Good to read the California Game & Wildlife regulations.
Read a little at time.pick a subject
Read part of at time.

Yea picking apart the regs is always fun, actually learn a lot reading through them. Does the OnXhunt app show you places that are legal to hunt also or just what is private and public lands. I found a spot using the BLM maps that is public just trying to figure out if there are additional hunting/trapping restrictions on the area in general. I emailed the Trabuco Ranger District and they said in Cleveland I can hunt and trap but to check any DFG regs on the area. DFG had a fishing map that showed no take, restricted, and open areas but I have not come across one for hunting yet, if one exists, does the app show that? I downloaded it but have not started my trial yet.

Mine needs updated because it would show wildlife areas and the laguna recreation area. Stuff like that. Be careful of the wildlife areas
Because of tighter restrictions.
Look up on line the specific regulations for those areas.

Welcome to SCHoutdoors TrapLine! look forward to reading about your adventures.

Had no idea jackastan even allowed trapping anymore...whats to trap there these days?

Private land owners.

In TX not much public land but landowners were always willing to trade taking care of their pests in exchange for the right to hunt and fish their land inseason.

No more bobcat in California, have to stick to coyote, racoons, beavers, badgers, a few other small animals and birds.

Lots of bycatch, but even if you have to release it, you know where to find it later.

So CA. lets you trap on public? And are you from TX.?

Copy..Huge difference in trapping/hunting between TX and CA. Good luck and keep us posted with some fur.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu