The Bear Whisperer doesn't disappoint!

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Well this was certainly not one of my toughest hunts. In fact, we have so much time on our hands now, we may just have to kills some pigs and ducks while we are here.

Neil, owner and head guide of giantsequoiaguideservice.com has been bugging me for a couple of years to come up on a black bear hunt. This year I was able to get the time so we settled on the dates. About a week before the hunt we discussed having JP come along to shoot a pig so that plan was locked down too.

On Thursday Neil called me and said there was a nice bear frequenting one of his properties on a regular basis. As excited as I was in the moment, I did not really put much thought into it over the next few days. The plan was to drive up on Sunday (today), check in to the local hotel and then head over to Neil's house at 3:00PM. At about 1:50PM I get a call from Neil asking where we were. I told him we were 10 minutes away from the hotel and that we were going to check in and police our gear for the evening hunt. Well that is what I thought the plan was. He said, "get over to my house now. The bear is in the same area as the last time we saw him”. So 20 minutes later we are at Neil's house quickly putting on our hunting costumes and just as quickly heading into the field; about a 10-minute drive. We get to the hunting area and there is the bear. Out of the rig we go, set up and take the shot. It was over that quick, and certainly not what we had planned for. But sometimes the easy ones are ok. There are plenty of tough hunts to come.

The bear was not a monster by any means, but I am pleased and enjoyed the experience regardless of its expedited nature. Neil is a great guy to hang out with and I always enjoy hunting with him.

We plan on hunting pigs and ducks for the next few days. The forecast calls for rain and then snow tonight (it is cold up here) so it should be an interesting hunt moving forward. Maybe this is why the bear hunt was so easy. The next few days might not be!

Attachments

• Yogi1.jpg
    Yogi1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
  • Yogi2.jpg
    Yogi2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
Nice job dude.....

Lungpopper said:
He has some space between the ears. How did the new rifle work?

Thanks guys...

The rifle is awesome but the shot was not a challenging one.

Congrats John and Neil. That's a nice bear! After my last few hunts, I wouldn't mind tagging out early! Would be a welcome change of pace
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Finding that balance between hunting all season every day for nill compared to the one time you jump out of the truck and close the deal on a grate animal is verbatim and could be nice. It is no doubtedly all about the hunt but show me a dog that doesn't like to be thrown a bone. Im def going to try this next year with Giant Sequoia Guide service !!! Some awesome bears and pig are clear evidence of hard work dedication on customer service I cannot wait

ps your rifle looks great and i bet it shoots even better! good luck on pig and waterfowl this week 8)

Muledeerhunter said:
Nice looking bear. What caliber are you shooting?

Yes I guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

The cartridge I am shooting is a 6.5 RSAUM 4S

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu