The copper bullet are they up to the quick kill.

I have been shooting "Lead Free" copper bullets for about 12 years when I purchased some and reloaded one of my rifles for them to see how they worked at the range. The issue I had with these "Early" Solid Copper slug is I could not get the velocities from them like you could do with lead. Also, after shooting just a few, when I cleaned the rifle all my patches came out green. This was because of copper fowling, where I never got that using copper jacketed lead bullets.

Many years ago I found this, printed it out and put it on the wall above my reloading table. In it there are several "Lead Free" bullets., and you can see how all the bullets perform at different velocities.

Awesome chart is it still available, down load?

My early tests spoken about above were using IMR-4350 in 270 & 30-06 with very early E-Tips.
Though I again saw this copper fowling just last year when getting ready for the Colorado Elk hunt using store bought Hornady Super-perform GMX in 30-06 & 300mag, several days before that gun blew up using stock winchester 300mag lead ammo. Though I never did Chrono the GMX bullets that claims a 180gr 30-06 has a muzzle velocity of 2,820 FPS. Something hard to believe since copper jacketed lead bullets can't reach it.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Muzzleloader

Attachments

• DE65CD7D-32BB-4A8C-B6CD-D9792F63CF38.png
    DE65CD7D-32BB-4A8C-B6CD-D9792F63CF38.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 7
  • CA817A11-BAB7-448C-8E48-E2AB1919B7E9.jpeg
    CA817A11-BAB7-448C-8E48-E2AB1919B7E9.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: TRICER
I am reaching out and trying my best to do research on bullet designs. (Shape Configuration and which metal used)
While honestly I have never really paid as much attention as I should have.
Semi jacketed soft points mostly did a reasonable job.
Honestly I have not done much big game hunting like elk, moose, brown bear. And bigger. Mostly because of Not making the opportunity.
And because of lack of opportunity.
So in reading some bullet type work better smaller big game and other for large mean big game.
I don't profess to be an expert
But I try to continue learning as
New better methods and as said we are forced to change.
The point of this point. Is I don't have one. Only fact by trying to
Become a more ethical hunter.
Trying to make the right choices.
From what I read different bullet types work on different game.
Thank you for all the imput
To all of you who I know try to do the same. And given every one
Valuable first hand actual experience.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu