The guys making control burning (fire) on laguna.

ppbets

Nov 12, 2012
Almost 2 blinds with chairs all with big chains and lockers stolen by this guys , and 1 treestand , some friends loose his treestands too, they broken locks on cams and treestands , and them they make control fires , I lost almost 600 dlls in equipment, what we can do ??????????

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Almost 2 blinds with chairs all with big chains and lockers stolen by this guys , and 1 treestand , some friends loose his treestands too, they broken locks on cams and treestands , and them they make control fires , I lost almost 600 dlls in equipment, what we can do ??????????
PPbets we are suppose to retrieve our stands after deer season..
According to the rangers up there.
Not allowed all year..
I had a blind and cam stolen.

I saw all hunters keep their treestands installed is crazy hard work to do it all seasons.

Bummer for you, Im sorry all your stuff was removed but youre not supposed to leave it out on public land. Forest service removing your property is not theft.....It shouldnt be left out there after the season. If anything you are making more work for the forest service when they have to remove your equipment. These controlled burns are needed and they do notify the public about controlled burns up there. Should have known it was coming with all the brush piles they have been making since last year.

We are in Spring Turkey Season, as far as I know, bow hunting turkeys is allow there, so having blinds or tree stands should not be a problem.
They may have the right to do it but ppbets also had the right to place blinds and not lose them.

Sorry to hear that Pepe. Is it th
Sorry to hear that Pepe. Looks like I need to get up there and take down a few things.

Check with the Rangers they may have put the items in a storage location. Even when they remove items they are usually good about giving them back depending on how quickly someone calls them afterward.

Problem arises hunters are leaving
Stuff up there all year. And then claiming that spot every year....
Pisses off the rangers..
We do have a right to put stands up
But it's a weird rule and I can't get a straight answer..
Any one know the actual rule or law about deer stands...
Is one day or ?

If it is designated wilderness then it is “no trace left behind” which means nothing can be left. I had this discussion with the one of the federal lands biologist. Traps are the only thing that can be left in a wilderness area because it is a primitive form of hunting. Here is the full definition I was given when I inquired about traps and cameras.

Congressionally designated Wilderness areas are managed to preserve their "primeval character and influence, without permanent improvements,” “where man himself is a visitor who does not remain.” In order to preserve their undeveloped quality, installations are prohibited within Wilderness areas. There is an exception that recognizes the value of trapping as a primitive recreational activity allowing traps to be left behind for a reasonable period of time. Wildlife cameras, on the other hand, are considered installations and are prohibited within Congressionally designated Wilderness areas. Even as the managing agency we are only allowed to install wildlife cameras when it is the minimum necessary for the preservation of Wilderness character and after going through a very through analysis of the situation.

If you have questions about preserving Wilderness character and what is or is not allowed, I would be happy to chat with you about your efforts and potential collaboration outside of Wilderness. I have attached the Manual 6340—Management of Wilderness and copied sections below for your easy reference.

B. Prohibited Uses
2. The Prohibited Uses
There are ten developments and uses that are referred to in the Act as “Prohibited
Uses” and are also known as “the Section 4(c) prohibitions.” Definitions and
discussion of each prohibited use are provided below. (See attachment)

There shall be no:
  1. commercial enterprise,
  2. permanent roads,
and, except as necessary to meet minimum requirements. There shall be no:
  1. temporary roads,
  2. motor vehicles,
  3. motorized equipment,
  4. motorboats,
  5. landing of aircraft,
  6. mechanical transport,
  7. structures, or
  8. installations.

j. installations. Anything made by humans that is not intended for human
occupation and is left behind when the installer leaves the wilderness.
“Installations” can be stationary (including, but not limited to: weather stations,
physical geocaches, and trail signs) or mobile (including, but not limited to,
radio collars or other remote tracking devices when they are installed in the
wilderness). Installations include things that remain on the landscape such as
trails and bridges. They do not include non-motorized devices that are carried
by people in the wilderness and leave with them (including, but not limited to:
GPS units, emergency location transmitters, cell phones, watches, and
computers)

I have a Descanso Ranger district Officer calling me back tomorrow. The subject of the call is unrelated to yours but I’ll ask him if they did anything with hunting equipment pulled from Laguna.
I’ll ask about that after I ask my question. When I say “I’m asking about Laguna for a friend” he won’t believe me that it’s for a friend but will tell me if the equipment is in-house still.

Man..i got to get out to D16 this year..that and wister...im missing out on some prime hunting apparently! Gonna throw Ed.F in the truck and make a couple trips this year..

Please call the Ranger’s office (619-445-6235 - press 0 for the front desk). I just spoke with them on a different question and they said they can find out for you if the equipment is really gone or if they have it. They won’t give you any trouble about it being left on the mountain and they have staff who speak a few languages if it would be easier to discuss in a language like Spanish.
They even wanted to call you directly but I didn’t have your number. They definitely want to help.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu