The Jac with a newbie...11-10-21

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
So, I get an invite from the kid that I mentored for the youth turkey hunt this year...He drew a good number at San Jacinto W.A....He doesn't drive yet...So, his mom drove him up to the museum (my house), because 1:30 am comes pretty early...He's an excitable type of kid and I could tell he got little sleep last night...Only had one shoe on, when we got there...The other was left at my house... :joy:

Got to the wildlife area at little before 3:00 am and place was pretty packed already (despite a 1.40 average)....When it was our turn to pick and to my amazement...My #1 choice was still on the board...We pick it and off we go...:blush:

When we drove to the area...It was clear sailing all the way from Escondido...As we approached our parking area, the fog was rolling in...Worst condition there is IMO...With 5 minutes to go till the horn goes off...We can't see our hand in front of our face...Shoot time comes and goes and there's nary a shot...15-20 in to it and a blur of ducks come in front the right...I can barely see them, when Grant let's loose and damn if he doesn't dump one...A beautiful big bull canvasback...His 1st...As time passes, another duck blows thru...He makes a miracle shot and dumps this one too...Drake redhead...His 1st...Sweet!...Next up was a ringneck that decoys right in...Down it goes...His 1st ringer...A little bit of a lull, and the fog lifting produces his 4th duck...Cinnamon hen...His 1st.

After that, we started getting birds working the pond...And they must of liked our 2 dozen coots, 3 gadwall, shakers and Pulsators...He shot till he was out of shells and we had 14 ducks...5 spoons, 1 widgeon, 1 gadwall, 1 can, 1 redhead, 1 scaup, 1 gw, 1 cinnie, 2 ringers...Wow!...9 different species.

I think he had a great time and learned a little about the Fowl Life.......;)

.IMG_3607.JPGIMG_3613.JPGIMG_3619.JPGIMG_3620.JPG

After 3 years of trying glad that kid finally got something.
Way to go Steve

Reactions: dhntr48
Good job Trig! Your brave throwing out that many Coot decoys at SJ. Then again, I think the Coot shooters seem to be MIA so far.

John

What a thrill! No buck fever in that boy. He looks like Howard Stern’s kid but kills ducks like a Robertson.

Reactions: ilovesprig
So his first duck ever is a bull canvasback ? I know plenty of guys including myself that have been at it for many years and never taken a can. Don't tell him but he should just hang it up at this point and move onto geese. Dang !
My first ducks was a double on cans with a mossberg 20 gauge pump. when Baldwin Lake was in its prime and lead was legal.
Well i think the kids hooked now. Very nice.

Great story Steve, and, a life time of memories for the young man. You are a good men Steve and he will never forget the time he spends learning from you.

My first ducks was a double on cans with a mossberg 20 gauge pump. when Baldwin Lake was in its prime and lead was legal.
Well i think the kids hooked now. Very nice.

Mac,

The kid WAS shooting a 20 gauge (Franchi) that he bought this summer after saving his money from working at H & M Landing...He was also shooting Kent bismuth....3 bucks a pull....:D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu