The right position for the turkey hunt.

Bowman

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
Here is an other tip from Mossberg . This has been my issue before. I was sitting in the wrong spot. Hope it helps.
Take notice he doesn't call much and very low.
don't chase turkeys the forest will thank you. Don't spoil it for every one else.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Position is many times a guessing game...Twice today I figured the gobblers would come in from where the hens were...Only to be backdoored twice...Fortunately, they were jakes both times.

When you hear the drumming 10 yds behind you, you know you're screwed...There ain't no turning and looking....lol''

.015.JPG

Last edited:
Position is many times a guessing game...Twice today I figured the gobblers would come in from where the hens were...Only to be backdoored twice...Fortunately, they were jakes both times.

When you hear the drumming 10 yds behind you, you know you're screwed...There ain't no turning and looking....lol''

.View attachment 43561
Steve, Whats that sleeve on you barrel called and Where can I get one?

.View attachment 43561

I my honest opinion that's 90% of the deal. finding the roost and picking the right spot or ?

Steve, Whats that sleeve on you barrel called and Where can I get one?

Lee,

It's the cloth tape...Shining guns regardless if the're camo'd or not, are not bueno in turkey hunting...The camo cloth tape is dull...And even if it comes slightly unraveled, it doesn't hurt anything...3 camo colors on my old SBE turkey gun.

.093.JPG

I believe that was why I was busted in the early years with my longbow it was brown by had a shiny top coat from the factory.
hunting Laguna, no firearms permitted, and hunted with my partner, who hunted with abow, tough hunting that way.
so I painted my bow and it did help. had turkeys walk right by me, tried camo tape but bad results happened on my arrow flight.
were as on a shotgun no big deal.
over the years I could of nailed jakes but I passed on them..

Great read, Fabian....Thanks for sharing

I've always said a good woodsman will get more turkeys than a good caller...Now, when you're a good woodsman and a good caller, you'll start putting more turkeys in your bag.

I might add one other tip...If you get a hit (gobble), then nothing...You may be in better shape than you think...If he's not gobbling, he's moving, if it wasn't just a "shock" gobble...There's a 50/50 chance he's headed your way...Old toms want the hens to come to them...Peaking his curiosity will many times have him sneak in...Be set up so he has to find you and he's in range when he does...Have patience and fight the attempt to pick up your box call or pot call...Maybe purrs or soft yelps at the most. Just moving just your eyes is important too...Amazing what they can see when they go up periscope.

.turkeys 3-13-12 037.JPG

This is one creature that I gave up on hunting for now. I moved to Ramona 7 years ago and spent a ton of time scouting up near me. I only found birds on private property or in public parks. I put some time in the first couple years up there, got drawn 4 years in a row at southerland, got hooked up with some nice property that was land locked only to find all the birds in people's yards. I plan to do a guided or a guided out of state hunt when I am ready to go after them again. Congrats to those of you who got it done!

p-67,

I wouldn't give up on it locally...And especially, if you live in Ramona...Timing, hunting smart, calling, scouting, and good woodsmanship all factor into being successful...Every time you go out you should learn something...When you get that 1st bird, you'll have a moment you'll never forget.

ps...I'm not saying hunting with a guide isn't fun, but it ain't the same.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
p-67,

I wouldn't give up on it locally...And especially, if you live in Ramona...Timing, hunting smart, calling, scouting, and good woodsmanship all factor into being successful...Every time you go out you should learn something...When you get that 1st bird, you'll have a moment you'll never forget.

ps...I'm not saying hunting with a guide isn't fun, but it ain't the same.
The primary reason for a guide is gaining access to better land with someone that knows it

The primary reason for a guide is gaining access to better land with someone that knows it

For what it will cost you for a 3 day hunt, plus travel expenses...You can come close to joining MCC...And you get to hunt deer, most your upland birds, fish, & hunt waterfowl on Lake Henshaw.

May be something you may want to consider...If you do, I would take you out.

Just listened to a very informative podcast with a Turkey Researcher / hunter and he brought up the fact that normally the hens come to the Tom's so trying to get a Tom to come in with a call is asking them to go against they're normal behavior.

Lots of good stuff.

Yeppers, in the ol days, if I got high up the mountain and knew they were in the area,
I could stalk them close, they didn't bust me. But here again bow hunting.

Nice read....Old toms will almost always gobble their heads off from a high point and not move an inch...Jakes and even to a greater degree 2 year olds are the most decoyable… :blush:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu