The "Shaw" 12/14

The Deer Guy

Apr 4, 2016
Well I had a fun hunt at the lake today and it seems like the birds are starting to show up. I knew that I would have a disadvantage setting up yesterday since I didn't get off work till 8 and had to head home to grab my gear. Spent hours yesterday scouting/setting up and with 6 1/2 dozen decoys, 2 spinners, and a layout in place I went home last night just hoping I was on the x. Got an early start this morning to try and sneak in so that the birds could trickle back. After kicking up a few birds in my decoys I was feeling good about it. Making a short story short... shoot time was at 6:12 and I was done by 7 with 7 widgeon (4 drakes and 3 hens).

IMG_1971.JPG

The aftermath...

IMG_1977.JPG

JOSH!!!!!.........I knew I should've went with you........Wister sucked.......AGAIN!

ps.......Actually could've been worse.......Got 5 birds, but only had 2 other opps (lost a bull sprig)......The day before there were 100's of birds on this spot......Must be the full moon.......lol

Reactions: Sigalert2012
Good stuff! I know that feeling well about hoping you're on the X, although normally it's at 4am on the morning of the hunt for me with how work pans out haha Hoping this weather on Thursday/Friday brings the water level up a few inches.

Tom,

Where Jacob & I hunted Sunday is now under water......Lake is coming up nicely, since they stopped the releases down stream to La Jolla Indian Res.

See ya Sunday?

Good job Josh!

I will probably dust off the gear to hunt next Wednesday. Talked to a couple guys today that got skunked so you did really well.

Tom,

Where Jacob & I hunted Sunday is now under water......Lake is coming up nicely, since they stopped the releases down stream to La Jolla Indian Res.

See ya Sunday?

That's very good to hear! Not sure if I'll be able to stay for the Sunday hunt yet or not. Little brother is flying in from Florida to LAX at 12:30am on Saturday, and has been begging me to take him duck hunting. So think I'm going to try to track down a 24 hr walmart, pray someone working night shift knows how to work the license machine for him, make a banshee run for the lake, and then pray knowledge of the lake will help me set up on an X even though the water line will probably have moved 30-40 yards since last weekend haha... gotta love duck hunting.

Yep Tom........The X will be changing daily up there.......Lots of blanks yesterday.

Plus, I noticed yesterday afternoon that birds were NOT flying into the shoreline......Instead, they're swimming in......Weather will start making a big difference......The worst the better......And damn, that place can get cold.

Good stuff! I know that feeling well about hoping you're on the X, although normally it's at 4am on the morning of the hunt for me with how work pans out haha Hoping this weather on Thursday/Friday brings the water level up a few inches.

The water is still definitely LOW. Most of the good duck food is still far from the water line and like Trig said the ducks are swimming in to the shore. It's gunna take a lot of water to get the lake up to where it has been in past years.

Great job and a nice story. A 7 duck day is rare right now so it sounds like you found the X that day.

Wow that takes me back. I grew up hunting Lake Henshaw and started going with my Dad when I was four years old and continued until I joined the Air Force in 06. Since then I've got to hunt all over the country but no matter where I'm at I still have brief flashbacks of the lake. Like the mud which has the faint aroma of cowshit, that crazy cold that hits you just as the sun breaks breaks over the horizon, or the wigeon which instantly turn stupid once the east wind starts blowing 30. Anyway thanks for the trip down memory lane, here's a few pics from the good old days and a couple recent ones from greener pastures.
26152b8bacee765b53b6d24796e2e3e5.jpg
77dca12d8ba8d568ecb5f872d93c895a.jpg
dfe113ad503f9426254569c9eb7d0841.jpg
467f4f9094b7db28cb0ad0017668de1c.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu