The truth about camouflage clothing.

Never heard of kuiu. Sounds exotic. Is it like filson or woolrich? Asking for a friend.

In all seriousness, like stated above, whatever floats your boat. I've personally taken more game in "street clothes" than "hunting clothes"

Like my boots, I don't wear "typical" hunting boots. Whites or Schnees. They work for my feet. Might not work for the next guy.

Rain gear? That's another story...

My marathon seat covers are in mossy oak....been in the white bufflao for 14 years...not one tear yet! Lloyd barfed , pissed and prolly shat on them in the past..i miss lloyd. But seat cover camo is where i spend my money.

Never heard of kuiu. Sounds exotic. Is it like filson or woolrich? Asking for a friend.

In all seriousness, like stated above, whatever floats your boat. I've personally taken more game in "street clothes" than "hunting clothes"

Like my boots, I don't wear "typical" hunting boots. Whites or Schnees. They work for my feet. Might not work for the next guy.

Rain gear? That's another story...
Kuiu is the top of the line mountain hunting under and outer gear available bar none, the founder began with the brand Sitka and then moved KUIU, there are many competiors out there but until the owners death last year that clothing line is and probably now the benchmark as far as big game gear go'es, BTW not cheap.

Reactions: Cali Ridge Runner
Don't need $100!

Where whatever ya want, and then cover it with this for $59.99!

North Mountain Gear Camo Ghillie Suit 3D Leaf with Zippers and Pockets Woodland Brown
Try that in Montana in November and tell me how it all works out comfort wise. Foreign visitors in So Cal is not a test of whether or not camo works on big game or wildlife. Camo is like fishing lures, new lures catch more firsherman than fish. concealment and wind have got it done since all of us arrived on this continent. Ask the indigenous members of North America about it.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Try that in Montana in November and tell me how it all works out comfort wise. Foreign visitors in So Cal is not a test of whether or not camo works on big game or wildlife. Camo is like fishing lures, new lures catch more firsherman than fish. concealment and wind have got it done since all of us arrived on this continent. Ask the indigenous members of North America about it.
Is the gentleman who asked this question hunting in Montana in November? If so... why would he be asking a question about this on a SoCal Hunting Forum, Hmm?

Covered with the inexpensive gear I put in the link, I've had both Deer and now Bobcat, at 25yds, look dead at me, and *NOT* see me.

My point was simply to mention to the gentleman that it doesn't necessarily take tons of cash. An item like this can provide the excellent concealment needed without the big name gear money, that's all.

Is the gentleman who asked this question hunting in Montana in November? If so... why would he be asking a question about this on a SoCal Hunting Forum, Hmm?

Covered with the inexpensive gear I put in the link, I've had both Deer and now Bobcat, at 25yds, look dead at me, and *NOT* see me.

My point was simply to mention to the gentleman that it doesn't necessarily take tons of cash. An item like this can provide the excellent concealment needed without the big name gear money, that's all.
Larry, as I’m sure you’re aware, many of us here on this SoCal hunting site also hunt other states and often in undesirable conditions. We don’t care if you want to use cheap gear. Anyone can kill a deer in jeans and a T-shirt if they want to.

To be perfectly honest, whether it’s hot or cold doesn’t really make much difference to me, I still want the tech to keep me comfortable. Those of us that are using technical hunting gear are using it because it allows us to be comfortable for longer, in a wider range of conditions. It has nothing to do with killing more animals or needing camo to do it. Mostly these days when I buy Kuiu gear it’s in a solid color. The Kuiu tiburon pant is the best hot weather hunting pant ever.

Camo is absolutely not needed for rifle big game hunting. I will not speak on bow hunting because there are people on here (like Ed) who have decades more experience being at close range with animals than I do. However, I have had a lot of close range (less than 60 yards) encounters with animals in Texas and California in non-camo gear. My regular hot weather hunting kit for SoCal is brown tiburon pants and a grey sun hoody. No camo at all. If they smell you you’re done. If they see you or hear you you might still have a chance depending on how you play it. In my opinion their sense hierarchy is scent, vision, sound.

What the?... Why in the hell are you guys over here thinking I'm knocking on quality gear? You're not making any sense! I LIKE Quality gear. I'm steady trying to add pieces as I can afford them.

I think the both of you might want to take a moment to scroll back upward. I said NOTHING to indicate any kind of negativity toward technical gear.

What I DID say... to an audience of 1, mind you... is that he could wear whatever he wanted, and then cover it up with <insert economical outer concealment layer choice here>. I said nothing at all negative about high quality gear. And frankly, I'm quite baffled at how some of you seem to have drawn that conclusion. It's just weird. Even more odd still... is how you're persistent in creating an argument where there is none. It's a trip!

I just picked up a a new Pro Merino 200 Zip-T hoodie, a Ultra Moreno 145 Balaclava and a new Pro 3600 pack. I have used the pack 3 times so far and the new suspension is really nice. And to piss you all off, I got it in Vias camo!

Like I said before, I love dressing up in the fall costume. I wear street clothing year round. The costume is like a batman cape. It gives me hunting superpower!

What the?... Why in the hell are you guys over here thinking I'm knocking on quality gear? You're not making any sense! I LIKE Quality gear. I'm steady trying to add pieces as I can afford them.

I think the both of you might want to take a moment to scroll back upward. I said NOTHING to indicate any kind of negativity toward technical gear.

What I DID say... to an audience of 1, mind you... is that he could wear whatever he wanted, and then cover it up with <insert economical outer concealment layer choice here>. I said nothing at all negative about high quality gear. And frankly, I'm quite baffled at how some of you seem to have drawn that conclusion. It's just weird. Even more odd still... is how you're persistent in creating an argument where there is none. It's a trip!
Take it easy dog. There’s no argument. It’s all just discussion.... You asked a rhetorical question at the beginning of the post I quoted about why someone would ask about cold weather gear for SoCal. My post is mostly to illustrate that it’s not about specific conditions or camo or no camo. It’s about gear that works well and keeps you in the field longer. My recommendation to people will always be for that type of gear. But in the end everyone should do whatever they feel is best for them.

Also, you frequently suggest that you were talking to one specific person and infer that others shouldn't comment on your post because of that. This is a public discussion forum. If you want to keep it private send a PM, otherwise you should expect people to discuss....

...There’s no argument. It’s all just discussion....

Ok... well alrighty then... boy, sure seemed to "read" like a strange condemning chastisement to me.

For example... where did the word "cold" appear in my post? Or any mention of weather? I didn't mention anything about weather at all. In fact.. my assumption at first was that the gentleman was perhaps referring to different colors being needed for that area he described during that time period he was mentioning, seeing as how I've not had the pleasure of ever visiting the place. And... with the question the OP was asking, I assume he hasn't either and therefore not referring to it, further highlighting it's irrelevance to the discussion, and subsequent chastisement. (To which I replied quite politely I thought?)

RE: audience of 1 comment: It became relevant because the both of you sure sounded like you somehow inferred something that wasn't there... and went spiraling off replying towards some kind of tangent argument you apparently both somehow thought I wrote words to the effect of? (Thinking I was somehow anti-quality gear for whatever reason or something?), when all I was trying to do was help a brother out with a suggestion to help him not spend as much right now is all. The idea being he could use whatever non-expensive street gear met the needs of his hunting area temps... but then just cover it all with the suit on the outside to achieve his concealment needs. That's all.

Anyhoo... sorry man... just a defensive thing with me (probably developed from years of "discussions" with the Mrs, Ha!), I get touchy about that when the other party is falsely claiming I've said or implied something which I did not, or wildly misinterpreting me, especially when I can easily prove it. (Because you know how women folk love to later on pull back up things you've said before, years after they've transpired. So it can be important to make sure they acknowledge you did not say X or Y in that moment.)

Misunderstanding then. Meh, it happens :) The written word man. Gotta be careful, explicitly address all points to ensure clarity, ya know? Sorry for the confusion then. <handshake>

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu