Things you wish you knew sooner...

Bought a Jaccard a few months ago and tried it on some tough cuts in the freezer. Penatration of seasoning got better but still chewy meat in the end. Tried marinating for awhile and straight tenderizeing not much difference IMO.
Try the pineapple juice trick. I dont know much about cooking but I do know its significantly more tender after a 1hr soak. I am interested in how it will turn up with the jaccard + pineapple juice.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Used a chuck roast which I normally would braise until tender from a steer I alfalfa and grain fed for fifteen months. Made a Jamaicam jerk seasoning which is vinegar, soysauce, green onion, garlic, cinammon, allspice, nutmeg, salt and couple other things, Cut all the sinew, fat and bone away. Then put the Jaccard to it until it was twice the size it was before I started. vaccuumed sealed it for about a week and pulled it out to see what I had. Handled it and it felt felt like a stretchy piece of shoe leather. Decided to cut in into stir fry chunks and cook it with veggies and rice. It was palatable but not something I would pursue again....

Used a chuck roast which I normally would braise until tender from a steer I alfalfa and grain fed for fifteen months. Made a Jamaicam jerk seasoning which is vinegar, soysauce, green onion, garlic, cinammon, allspice, nutmeg, salt and couple other things, Cut all the sinew, fat and bone away. Then put the Jaccard to it until it was twice the size it was before I started. vaccuumed sealed it for about a week and pulled it out to see what I had. Handled it and it felt felt like a stretchy piece of shoe leather. Decided to cut in into stir fry chunks and cook it with veggies and rice. It was palatable but not something I would pursue again....
That sounds like a hell of a recipe.

I guess the big deal with the pineapple is it has bromelain (might not have spelled that right) which is an enzyme/acid that breaks down the tissue. You cant marinade for too long because it will turn your steak into a mashed potato.

Well... I made some elk mac and cheese tonight.

The only change was making sure the ground was dry , not pouring in the blood/liquid and cooking it uncovered. It browned up nicely and tasted significantly better then what I have been doing. Wifey loved it also.

My wifes first big game animal was a deer and her first elk was a calf. Both were great table fare, she took the deer on our property and consequently was processed and chilled within about two hours. Her first elk was a calf that we were able again to process it within about three hours gutted and whole at the local processor in Az. They hung it for a day until we could get home to face the 2007 fires in San Diego. We left it at a processor in Yuma because we did not know what we were coming home to. It came out great and is one of the best game animals I have been able to consume. I wish I could have taken her to bull elk but sadly her health has left her short of that... Those young animals are the best at the table for sure.

.IMG_0091.JPGfredfs turkey 043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos of Tracy, Fred. Her thirst for life at the time was rivaled by few.

Good memories brother.

Season meat with salt n pepper and sear it in some butter. As its cooking add some Worsteshire sauce to meat. Remove meat, add some red wine to the same pan and make a reduction (and jelly if you want) and pour it over the deer/elk.

We add this to shank meat in a crockpot but recently we cook it, remove fat and then add the amino’s after.

We eat with broccoli because it is similar to a sweet beef & broccoli recipe.

774C40D9-AEBD-45FD-90F9-5DCADA6A6C5A.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu