Thinking of jumping on the Old Glory

IVhunter

Dec 24, 2020
Hope you guys are doing great. What are your thoughts of the Old Glory? I don't see any reports. They have spots open for this Sunday and I have the need to fish the big pond.
Would a couple of Avets do the trick for this trip? My setups are 2 speed MXJ with30lb and the JX with 40lb. and i'll bring along my Penn Squall with 15lb for kicks.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Oh yes and I finally pulled a D12 tag can't wait to get out there, it's been a while.

No input on the boat but I wouldn't hesitate. Just an overnight trip so nothing to worry about with sleeping conditions or the food. The bft and yft seem to very catchable size right now and 30# & 40# flyline is how most of the fish are being caught. You're tackle should be fine but is that mono? If so I'd consider the age/condition. Braid would be the way to go if it's not already. You'll want flouro leader material with you too.

I have not been on the boat, but they take too many people for me, generally 36. I draw the line at 28. I found a fish report from yesterday the 12th, as of 11AM, they had 23 mixed tuna.

Last edited:
Reactions: IVhunter
This was Thursday on the all day boat out of Seaforth. Sea watch

Attachments

• 20230713_154126.jpg
    20230713_154126.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230713_154202.jpg
    20230713_154202.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230713_154159.jpg
    20230713_154159.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230713_154249.jpg
    20230713_154249.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230713_192501.jpg
    20230713_192501.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230713_192501.jpg
    20230713_192501.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: sportyg
Went on it once, Kley is a good skipper, so is the 2nd captain, I'd be more inclined to fish it if they ran 1.5 rather than overnight.

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
I also fished Old Glory once several years ago. It was a tough trip but the cap and crew worked hard.

Thank you guys for the replies. My buddy and I jumped on it and was worth it. 18 people fishing, had plenty of shots at limits. Kley the captain is a workhorse. The craziness that happens when the fish hit is unreal. Some anglers just get tunnel vision. My buddy had fist hookup at 2:45 am on a approx 80 pounder. I was happy with my 30 lb’er. We brought home 4 fish.

On ride back we saw orca showing there young how to hun and take a dolphin. That was rad.

California Fish Processing came through with the save. I think some of you might know them.

Attachments

• IMG_4926.jpeg
    IMG_4926.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4912.jpeg
    IMG_4912.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4937.jpeg
    IMG_4937.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4908.jpeg
    IMG_4908.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 29
Thank you guys for the replies. My buddy and I jumped on it and was worth it. 18 people fishing, had plenty of shots at limits. Kley the captain is a workhorse. The craziness that happens when the fish hit is unreal. Some anglers just get tunnel vision. My buddy had fist hookup at 2:45 am on a approx 80 pounder. I was happy with my 30 lb’er. We brought home 4 fish.

On ride back we saw orca showing there young how to hun and take a dolphin. That was rad.

California Fish Processing came through with the save. I think some of you might know them.

Rick,

Glad you found a processor....The guys I called all said you needed a reservation....Great going..... :clap:

Tuna steaks, soy sauce, fresh grated ginger, crushed garlic, sesame seed oil. chopped green onion. Measurements based on amount of fish. Mix all and put in baggie with tuna steaks about 30 mins. Heat grill on high, place tuna steaks on grill until cooked through about 1/4-1/2" on each side. Serve. :yum

Heys guys just a heads up Sportsmans Seafood you don't need fish processing reservations. I just dropped it off before 8pm. Pickup it up next day either fresh or they can freeze it for you. And their the cheapest cost wise.

Reactions: ilovesprig
When ever I go to San Diego fishing and want my catch processed, I go to 5 Star, or Fishermans Processing. They also come to the dock to greet the incoming boats, generally the three day and long range boats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ilovesprig
Hope you guys are doing great. What are your thoughts of the Old Glory? I don't see any reports. They have spots open for this Sunday and I have the need to fish the big pond.
Would a couple of Avets do the trick for this trip? My setups are 2 speed MXJ with30lb and the JX with 40lb. and i'll bring along my Penn Squall with 15lb for kicks.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Oh yes and I finally pulled a D12 tag can't wait to get out there, it's been a while.
ive fished old glory a few times in the past, its a fishy boat .. its been a couple seasons since ive fished that boat, though. my only complaint with old glory is that i dont like is the massive overhang it has over the "walk around" it makes it difficult to find a spot for storing longer rods. i like throwing top water jigs with a longer rod and that overhang limits you to a select few spots on the rack .. other than that its a fishy boat with a good crew. ( as of 2 seasons ago) as far as gear to bring,, what you listed should do but it never hurts to have a heavy set up (50+ #) with you just in case you get into some big fish...

Last edited:
ive fished old glory a few times in the past, its a fishy boat .. its been a couple seasons since ive fished that boat, though. my only complaint with old glory is that i dont like is the massive overhang it has over the "walk around" it makes it difficult to find a spot for storing longer rods. i like throwing top water jigs with a longer rod and that overhang limits you to a select few spots on the rack .. other than that its a fishy boat with a good crew. ( as of 2 seasons ago) as far as gear to bring,, what you listed should do but it never hurts to have a heavy set up (50+ #) with you just in case you get into some big fish...
Totally saw what you are talking about. Good thing my buddy knew about that and made it a point to be first on the boat. We got the good spot on the rack longer rods.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu