This could save a life

Bugsy71

Mar 5, 2017
I spoke to Steve and we both agreed this needs to be shared. While hunting Sunday morning my shotgun discharged. Yes the safety was on, it was still on after the discharge. We were walking on a fire road we stopped to take a picture of Henshaw and bam! The muzzle was pointing down stock at my shoulder strap going over the back of my shoulder. I carry this way due to my conditions should my legs fail(which happens). This was witnessed the point I'm trying to get at is no matter what precautions you take, anything can happen at anytime. I got lucky! Only 30 or so shot in my foot and some burning. The manufacturer has been notified and an investigation will be starting either Tuesday or Wednesday.
ALWAYS practice muzzle control, trigger discipline and ALWAYS have your safety on until ready to fire. Even though mine failed. This was a lower end Shotgun but regardless the trigger group should never have failed especially with only 300 or so rounds through her.
Another life saver was knowing my coordinates, thanks to onXmaps. We were almost a mile from East Grade. Knowing this greatly improved response time.
So let the comments begin. I'm hoping that this is received as a reminder of safety. Firearms are mechanical and mechanisms fail. So the best safety is you.
8d338abb2276c9f53a606ac9ba4654e4.jpg
d4d00c2c4e7e293f8d75f08529bd6424.jpg
244ab6aa40f1534e0928759c923da6e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAMN! Accidental discharges are scary in any way, shape, or form. Glad to hear you're ok, a turkey round at close range could have really ruined your foot. What brand/model was the gun? Once took a used rifle in to a gunsmith to have it checked out and one of the first things he did was *verify chamber was clear*, close the bolt, flip the safety off, and gave the but a sharp rap against the floor. Then verified that the gun had not fired. Ever since seeing him do that, I will do that every once in a while with my guns to verify everything's working as it should. But, like you said, mechanisms can always fail. Practice safe gun control!

Reactions: Bugsy71
DAMN as well. Glad you are ok! ONX Maps is a life saver. Thanks for posting as this helps others to remember how important safe gun control is.

Last edited:
AS a father starting to take my 8 & 10 year old girls into the field, THANKS FOR THE REMINDER. Prayers for speedy recovery .

The manufacturer is being very proactive and is handling this above and beyond what was expected. Until this is settled I'd like to leave names out it.

Last edited:
This is more a question to figure you out are you still hunting with the weapon and or useing it?

I'm confused by that this could save a life topic but you won't name the manufacture ????

This is more a question to figure you out are you still hunting with the weapon and or useing it?

I'm confused by that this could save a life topic but you won't name the manufacture ????

Through extensive research on this website it sounds like it's a Maverick 88 Now I'm wondering if it's in the shop or gone. If I have an auto firing gun on safety I'm throwing it away

Glad your ok by the way

The message is about safety regardless of the make. Mechanisms fail is the point I'm trying to make. Every brand has its issues you tube is full of them. If doesn't matter the make if your not being safe. As of now the manufacturer still has my support and will continue to if they live up to their commitments.

Reactions: invisible man
Have no idea what was done to the gun/how old it was, but it's still worth posting the make model. I'm sure there's a bunch of guys who had a rem 700 that would have appreciated a little heads up before an official recall was announced months or years later. Might be a one off incident, but believe me, if I had a maverick right now you can bet your ass, I'd be smacking that sucker around a little to see if the sear falls. Hell, I have an 835 and I might go smack it around some... again.

Reactions: Sdbirds and Bugsy71
Well Fowl Play that's a valid point.

Last edited:
My Uncle Sam always trained me to have muzzle down. My dad (a range shooter) was always trained muzzle up. A while ago he had an accidental discharge and it went through the roof of the shooting cover and blew wood shrapnel everywhere. Thanks for the heads up and remember and glad your ok. Glad it wasn't a kid as well. I always keep kids on my right side and muzzle down to the left.

No it's done. It's on it's way to to the manufacturer. It will not be back. No matter what is found, I will not trust it.

Reactions: TRICER
You might want to get a lawyer and stop posting on here. Just my honest opinion. I am not a sue crazy person and I have never sued anyone in my life but this is one of those times where legal counsel is needed. Also you probably should not have sent them the gun until you had talked to an attorney. Who knows how screwed up your foot is or how long you will be off of it. Even though it is a mechanical device that can fail it should not have. It wasn't the safety if you didn't pull the trigger it was the trigger group that failed. Get a lawyer they line up for these kind of things.

That was a lesson I learned and will never forget

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu