This guy did good...

• Thread starter Deleted member 27310
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27310

On my way in to work this morning I saw a bird dive into the canal along Austin Road near Imperial, I thought it was a seagull at first but when it came back up out of the water it was this guy and he was holding breakfast... he flew right back up to the pole line. I was totally stoked that I finally saw him in action, I had seen an Osprey last year eating a fish but I couldn't get close enough to get a picture. I drove back home and got the camera and was able to get a few picturesDSC_0899.JPGDSC_0901.JPGHe noticed me and started to get nervous so I took off and let him enjoy his meal.

DSC_0902.JPGDSC_0903.JPG

Very cool pix, Rich.....Although, I don't think that's a bass with that forked tail....Doesn't look like a channels cat either....Perhaps a big gizzard shad.

Ya I was thinking catfish at first but if you look at the first picture it has the markings/colors of a bass but the tail throws me off. Probably a new river mutant fish.

I think it's a channel cat, the tail gives it away.. but he has been hitting the bass also, check out the scales on the pole. Spotted him 2 days ago on same pole.

Rich,

Saw the scales (& no whiskers).....Hence, the gizzard shad thought.....Average size for gizzard shad is about 2 lbs.

.View attachment 35428

Good call Steve!! Check out this rear pic, I think I see scales missing... Sir, do gizzard shad swim on top of water skimming the surface? On Saturday I fished the same canal and I could see what I thought were carp scanning top water, maybe it what these G-Shad that I saw? So raptor must be picking them off all easy.

Attachments

• gizz.jpg
    gizz.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 13
Probably Rich......They're a plankton eater.....The problem with them is they out grow their usefulness as a bait fish, unlike threadfin shad.
Yup. When I saw the forked tail and size I instantly though gizzard.

You are right about their size Steve. Still great bait for the stripers and big largemouth though, but they can overpopulate pretty quickly I believe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On my way in to work this morning I saw a bird dive into the canal along Austin Road near Imperial, I thought it was a seagull at first but when it came back up out of the water it was this guy and he was holding breakfast... he flew right back up to the pole line. I was totally stoked that I finally saw him in action, I had seen an Osprey last year eating a fish but I couldn't get close enough to get a picture. I drove back home and got the camera and was able to get a few picturesView attachment 35423View attachment 35424He noticed me and started to get nervous so I took off and let him enjoy his meal.

View attachment 35425View attachment 35426

My guess would be a Mullet

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu