This NOT a goose!

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
But somebody at Wister Saturday thought it was (tundra swan)......Costly error for sure...... :-[

ps......Josh even warned people that swans were in the area.

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    587.1 KB · Views: 50
Very sad and stupid (Know Your waterfowl), I remember an episode years ago while hunting on the Colorado river where a novice hunter came in and pronounced that he had killed the biggest snow goose ever. When the locals saw what he had done they advised him and tried to get him out of trouble. Not sure what the end result was.

Snake Charmer said:
Very sad and stupid (Know Your waterfowl), I remember an episode years ago while hunting on the Colorado river where a novice hunter came in and pronounced that he had killed the biggest snow goose ever. When the locals saw what he had done they advised him and tried to get him out of trouble. Not sure what the end result was.

Haha - I was there. Apparently he thought it was a world record snow goose.

8SteelTown said:
Did the shooter get a citation?

Yes......And they said it would be $2,500.00......Which I believe is high.....They're legal to shoot in a number of states. Utah and Nevada are a couple that sell permits.

ps.....A little story when I was working the check station out at Wister in 1975.....Two guys come up to me and say they shot a snow goose and the guy down from them (free roam days) shot it on the water when it sailed down to him. He then grabbed it and left.....They wanted to know who's bird it was. I told them ethically it was theirs but possession was 90% of the law.....About this time some dude drives up in a VW. He gets out and these two guys go crazy saying this is the guy, this is the guy.....I tell them to settle down at about the same time the guy starts pulling this "snow goose" out of his VW.....It takes him about 5 minutes because the neck is so long and the two guys are yelling that's our goose, that's our goose.....I say, boys you don't want this goose. They're saying yes we do, yes we do.....I finally tell them it's a swan.....The looks on their faces was precious..... :D

The guy that brought it in got the citation..... ;)

Sorry guys but there is no excuse for this! There is no confusing a 5 lb snow goose with a 15lb plus juvie swan.

They should make an example of this guy and stick it to him BIG time.

It's crap like this the antis could use against us, do we really need hunters like this in our group?

Josh responded to the call and went to the blind and retrieved the swan. I was at the check station when the 2 hunters came in. They are a father ans son and are regulars at Wister. The father said that his son shot the bird. Know one knows exactly what went down but I am sure the junior is upset. I am not excusing him but making an example of him probably a little harsh. They were not cited at the check station as there was no warden there and they left the area. Not sure if warden can issue a citation via mail

Mike,

Not the story I heard, but your sounds like 1st hand....Not sure they can even site a junior hunter......Good lesson for all......Be sure of your target and know your waterfowl.

it was about 20 years ago, im launching in the Alamo right over the bridge, just as its legal soot time I hear bam, bam, bam. right behind me a few yard, 5 minutes later same thing bam, bam , bam. im like what the heck I see absolutely nothing flying, 10 minutes later same thing bam, bam babam. so now I gotta see what their shooting at, I walk over and see 5 cormorant next to the guys motorhome, by the way he was shooting from the top of his motorhome, lol. I asked what the heck ya shootin at. he said dark geese. I busted out laughing told him what he had shot. this guy jumped from the top of the motorhome threw the nasty birds in the Alamo and hightailed out of there, ill never forget the look on his face.

You guys are brutal on this forum. Some people have not been hunting their whole lives and don't have friends and family to guide them. I don't hunt ducks because I don't think I can identify them properly. Halfway through my third hunting season I am barely getting to be able to identify dove. I understand that the antis would have a field day with people who make mistakes, but the reaction some of these forums will also discourage new hunters.

Baldkrash said:
You guys are brutal on this forum. Some people have not been hunting their whole lives and don't have friends and family to guide them. I don't hunt ducks because I don't think I can identify them properly. Halfway through my third hunting season I am barely getting to be able to identify dove. I understand that the antis would have a field day with people who make mistakes, but the reaction some of these forums will also discourage new hunters.

Not trying to be brutal, just trying to inform guys that hunting waterfowl is tough and costly, if a mistake is made.

Big Jim said:
it was about 20 years ago, im launching in the Alamo right over the bridge, just as its legal soot time I hear bam, bam, bam. right behind me a few yard, 5 minutes later same thing bam, bam , bam. im like what the heck I see absolutely nothing flying, 10 minutes later same thing bam, bam babam. so now I gotta see what their shooting at, I walk over and see 5 cormorant next to the guys motorhome, by the way he was shooting from the top of his motorhome, lol. I asked what the heck ya shootin at. he said dark geese. I busted out laughing told him what he had shot. this guy jumped from the top of the motorhome threw the nasty birds in the Alamo and hightailed out of there, ill never forget the look on his face.
Epic story right there.. shooting cormorants on top of a motorhome. Lol.

KID CREOLE said:
Sorry guys but there is no excuse for this! There is no confusing a 5 lb snow goose with a 15lb plus juvie swan.

It's crap like this the antis could use against us, do we really need hunters like this in our group?

That's pretty brutal.

Baldkrash said:
KID CREOLE said:

That's pretty brutal.

no it's not.

Baldkrash said:
KID CREOLE said:

That's pretty brutal.

What's brutal is having shooters ruining the reputation of ethical hunters, the sport does not need hunters like this period.

The circus mentality of killing first and identifying later is getting a little old. I have never shot a bird not knowing what it was, I have however let legal birds go by because I couldn't identify them.

We live in a world where ANYONE can bring up a pic of a bird on their phone yet idiots like this still do this crap

KID CREOLE said:
Baldkrash said:
KID CREOLE said:

That's pretty brutal.

What's brutal is having shooters ruining the reputation of ethical hunters, the sport does not need hunters like this period.

The circus mentality of killing first and identifying later is getting a little old. I have never shot a bird not knowing what it was, I have however let legal birds go by because I couldn't identify them.

We live in a world where ANYONE can bring up a pic of a bird on their phone yet idiots like this still do this crap
I couldn't agree more with this post, especially considering the fact that with technology we could easily identify most anything. Heaven forbid people carry a bird ID book in their blind bags.

Let's face it, we do this now a days for reasons other than sustenance and the antis know that. So when we make mistakes like this we all pay. It is not acceptable.

If this deters some hunters for joining the sport, so be it. I hope it makes them go back an educate themselves more about hunting and identifying different animals. Kind of like how Baldkrash is saying he still has trouble recognizing dove. That is an honest assumption about yourself to not take that next step. Hunters as a whole appreciate that.

I wish I could get out and hunt more, but in my free time I am still fairly consumed with hunting. Most of that is reading and further educating myself. This doesn't stop at hunter education 101.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It was a Jr. hunter who made this mistake. If I was out with my 14 year old daughter, who is yet to bag any game, and she made a major mistake like firing at a bird she was uncertain of, I would correct her and instruct her. There is no way I would share it here. The education on this forum amounts to "they should have known better".

Not the supportive community a new hunter is looking for. And some of you guys would just prefer to have less hunters than give guidance and help.

This will be my last post on this topic.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu