Tipping your Hunting Guide

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
Sep 1, 2014
Yucaipa
This has been bugging me for awhile. How much is an appropriate amount to tip you hunting guide? I know there's variables, but what is a good amount? When I go out to eat I usually tip around 35%, unless I was just ignored the whole time. I've met some guide service's that have a set gratuity, so even if they do a crappy job they still get tipped. I haven't had any complaints about what I've tipped my guides, but I do recall one not seeming to pleased with the amout I tipped. I could of just read his body launguge wrong, but it's still in the back of my mind. What are some of your thought's?

I've never been on a guided hunt and I get stiffed in Canada........... :D

ps.....20% seems fair to me......2 cents

I can tell you when I get onto a charter boat I hand a couple of the deck hands $20 each before we take off and that insures an awesome trip for me. I went on a guided hunt recently and it was a real disapointment and teh guide did not come through with what he had promised I did not tip him. I think the tip varries on the hunt. I would think giving a guide an extra $100 should be sufficiant. If you are on a $2,000 hunt 35% is $700 that is crazy. Drop him a hundo and call it good.

Good point on the 20% per the cost of the trip ($2000.00 X 20%= $400.00)......Not like a restaurant.

Truduct said:
I can tell you when I get onto a charter boat I hand a couple of the deck hands $20 each before we take off and that insures an awesome trip for me.
$20 can turn even the most bitter deckhand into the nicest person in the world I've seen it happen with my buddies who are deckhands when they've been dealing with idiots all day and when they finally get a tip there different people. I'm going to become a deckhand when summer rolls around again and I can say that would make anyone's day. Sorry for the hijack of the thread I'd say the tip should be whatever you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu