To blind or not to blind?

Skunk

Feb 8, 2016
I've only hunted turkey once before on private land in Oregon. We found the tree, waited all morning in a blind and the turkeys went the other way. Chased them down and cut them off but rookie mistake, I spooked them.
Next day, I sat in some bushes in the direction they went the morning before. They went around, maybe I wasn't stealth enough. I set up a blind where they were scratching and feeding the day before and my son, then 6, sat in the blind for 5 hours. They came in, he choose his bird, and I pulled the trigger. All great memories and looking back, I made SO many mistakes.
Now, the question is, does anyone prefer the blind or just blending in?
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on the hunt, i like the blind because you dont have to worry as much about moving around and being busted,and your always shaded from the sun which helps if your filming
your hunt, the part i dont like is the added weight especially if you get a bird my blind is 13 pounds,plus decoys,chair,gun,then throw an 18 lb turkey on top of that,thought i was going to die
that 30min hike in turned out to be a hour and half crawl out, but would i do it again yes!!!

Almost never use a pop-up blind unless we're shooting a bow or pellet gun....They're restrictive on your shooting lanes, heavy to carry any distance, and despite the shade, hot inside, if not shaded.

I use the short leafy blinds often....Very light, shoot any angle, and they break up part of the human silhouette.

What I use the most is natural vegetation, if I have the time.....I almost never hunt without a pair of shears & small saw.....And as far as shade goes.....NEVER set-up in the sun.....Always on the shade side of brush & trees.

There are times when I've been trapped and had to either be in the sun or face the sun.....Almost never worked out.

Always try to set-up in front of trees that are wider than you as well.....Your back cover is as important many times as your front cover.

ps.....Decoys can take the attention off position.....Really important when trying to get them in really close.

Attachments

• turkey hunt 4-17-13 001.JPG
    turkey hunt 4-17-13 001.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 26
  • mike's turkey hunt 4-10-11 007.JPG
    mike's turkey hunt 4-10-11 007.JPG
    656.9 KB · Views: 22
  • turkey hunt 4-16-11 002.JPG
    turkey hunt 4-16-11 002.JPG
    792.5 KB · Views: 23
  • josh's bow turkey & Wade...4-3-12 006.JPG
    josh's bow turkey & Wade...4-3-12 006.JPG
    880.7 KB · Views: 27
  • turkey hunt 4-5-12 005.JPG
    turkey hunt 4-5-12 005.JPG
    729.9 KB · Views: 25
Thank you for the responses.
To add, my hunting partner has never been turkey hunting. The blind leading the blind. I was maybe thinking putting him in the blind and I could be in an area next to a tree. We would discuss what direction and who gets the shot, IF a bird happens by. I'm rethinking this because we wouldn't be able to communicate.
Other idea was to both be set up next to a tree without a blind.
Other would be to start the morning in a blind and then move out of it later in the day.
Fun to try to figure it out. I guess more scouting will help make this decision easier and take in the advice received.
Thanks again

I prefer making natural blinds, and never hit the turkey woods without a pair of ratchet pruners. But I like using my Primos Up-N-Down if cover is scarce or I am hunting with someone I know will not be able to sit still. Perfect size to be able to wrap around you if you sit with your back against a tree, and weighs about a pound.

Skunk,

Since neither of you are very experienced turkey hunters. I really think sitting next to each other is the best idea....Safety wise & hunting wise....We hunt in tandem a lot, but almost never does the back guy take a shot. In fact, can't think of once where the caller has taken a shot....Guy on right takes birds from that direction and guy on left that direction....If one is a left handed shooter.....Lefty should always be on the right....If only one legal bird comes in, have that decided who'll shoot before the moment of truth.... ;)

In this video, Alex is below and to my left....Couple things to note....Do NOT pick them up by the legs, if their still flopping. Step on his head....lol....Also, you should approach your turkey with gun not over your back....I know of 2 guys that did this last year and their birds flew away..... :-[

ps....Gun over back is a safety issue too....Look where it's pointed, when he bends over.... :eek:

.https://youtu.be/Dp39XynYfos

Love me some head stomping!!

Another nice thing about blocking behind you, if they sneak behind, you have a better chance at a shot........And Mr lion can't see you. So he goes for the decoy rather than you.....Well, that's the theory.

I've never called in a lion (2 buddies have). In fact, have never seen a lion in the wild.....I have called in coyotes & bobcats though...... ;)

Attachments

• turkey opener 2013 043.JPG
    turkey opener 2013 043.JPG
    912.5 KB · Views: 23
  • turkey opener 2013 049.JPG
    turkey opener 2013 049.JPG
    831.7 KB · Views: 22
Great feed back. Thanks ilovesprig.
I now plan on hunting next to my friend. I enjoy the tracking and calling, the shooting is just icing on the cake. I'd like my friend to get the shot if we get the chance. I don't have high expectations to take a bird home and if he does get one even better. If we both get one, I'll be on cloud 9.
Safety is priority in my opinion. Time to buy a leafy front blind. Lol!

One other item you should not go into the woods without.....Ant spray.....Nothing more annoying than being covered with the stinkiest little critters going..... :(

You may want to invest in a turkey lounger too.....Sitting for long periods of time is sometimes necessary.....Being comfortable (so you're not moving all over the place) is really important.

.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossy-Oak-Turkey-Thugs-Turkey-Hunting-Chair/48745220?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=48745220&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=8efe32d2-1c7f-4653-8581-ce9bb5c63732&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=22281732&parent_anchor_item_id=22281732&guid=e739067f-a4a4-45d1-898e-42e714c80286&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Gotcha. I do have turkey pads but not the spray. Does peppermint oil work well? I see a bunch of poisons and a few natural stuff to kill em.

Sprig- Seen plenty of lions up here in Mesa Grande both on camera and visually wish they were fair game as they have decimated the deer herd. Very disappointing to see that California has become such a game "desert" because of poor management.

Pads are great and are on all my vests, but offer little back support.....Lounger also allows you to sit in many more places than a pad can (no trees).....The biggest drawn to loungers is walking any long distance. Although, they do fit any turkey vest backpack.

Bug spray isn't necessarily to kill them.....It's really to repel them.....Don't know anything about peppermint oil....I can tell you that OFF or Thermacell's are needed for mosquitos.....But they are of little use for ants.

Snake Charmer said:
Sprig- Seen plenty of lions up here in Mesa Grande both on camera and visually wish they were fair game as they have decimated the deer herd. Very disappointing to see that California has become such a game "desert" because of poor management.

Totally agree Fred.....And I've seen plenty on my game cams......Just never seen one scouting or hunting.

steveo007 said:
depends on the hunt, i like the blind because you dont have to worry as much about moving around and being busted,and your always shaded from the sun which helps if your filming
your hunt, the part i dont like is the added weight especially if you get a bird my blind is 13 pounds,plus decoys,chair,gun,then throw an 18 lb turkey on top of that,thought i was going to die
that 30min hike in turned out to be a hour and half crawl out, but would i do it again yes!!!

heres a pic of the gear

Attachments

• 20150327_183303.jpg
    20150327_183303.jpg
    951.8 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the pic and feedback. I like minimal, changing it up to just a front blind and we'll set up next to one another. Now more scouting...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu