Today was a day roughly 30 years in the making...

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
(The following is a copy paste of a PM I sent to the gentleman I purchased an 21" 870 Express Magnum 20ga from. NOTE: The last time I'd touched a shotgun was more than 30 years ago at the age of 18yo when me and a brother bought some single-shot break-action Stevens)

Took the boy out today for his first time using the Remington 870!

We hiked-in a bit on some public lands (me carrying a box of clay pidgeons to, my forearms and fingers were less than please by the time we arrived at the spot, HaHA!)

Don't have a sling for his yet so he had to hold it in his hands during the hike-in/out. I was grinning hearing him whine about his arms. I remember when I started hunting few years back and always just carried it in my hands too. Since figured I needed the exercise. So I just grinned and told him his arms are just not used to it yet
smile.png

First shot I just placed a clay in a bush so it was stationary. ...Boom! (w Winchester sporting clays load, so as to not be so strong as the waterfowl loads purchased from you) "Owwwiiieee!" He exclaimed... but I was proud of him because he clamped down on himself to not whimp out. I think it was like the 3rd or 4th shot when I could tell it was stinging his virgin shoulder pretty darn good. Told him to put back on his puffy jacket.

Then I took a try with his. Trip out!... it was more sharp of a recoil then my Benelli SuperNova 12ga shooting 3" BBB Waterfowl loads!

Wisely... I'd changed the choked on his out to Improved Cylinder figuring it would widen the pattern a little to increase likelihood of him having success hitting clays in the air. That was a great call. I noticed I was a degree more adept at hitting the clays with his 870 with Imp Cyl, then how much I was with my Benelli w/ Mod Choke. (We were just throwing them up by hand, so maybe only 20-25yds of flight I'd guess?

But yeah, definitely noticed my Benelli shot softer though. I remember reading their literature and how they claim their stock design and recoil pad claim to reduce recoil by 35% and I DEFINITELY believe that to be true now.

My lil guy was a trooper though. He hung in their for about maybe 20 shots. And then he conveniently wanted to have fun throwing the clays for me
smile.png

And I do have to admit later on when I switched over to using his 870 with an Imp Cyl, that I was much more ninja with that slim, light, short barreled 20ga. Plus my brain was starting to figure it all out a lot better by then since this was about my fourth box in of the day by that point. But yeah... I definitely started to notice that the 870 was starting to create some soreness in my shoulder that wasn't there before, especially after I switched over to those 3" waterfowl Kent loads.

So then I inspected the difference between the two shotguns recoil pads and right away noticed how the 870's was much less pliable.

So a Quake Claw sling, and some kind of aftermarket recoil pad are definitely in the future for his "new" 870!

We had a great, quality, Father-Son day today. So I wanted to share that report with you and hope it brings a smile to your day too
smile.png

-G

(The following is a copy paste of a PM I sent to the gentleman I purchased an 21" 870 Express Magnum 20ga from. NOTE: The last time I'd touched a shotgun was more than 30 years ago at the age of 18yo when me and a brother bought some single-shot break-action Stevens)

Took the boy out today for his first time using the Remington 870!

We hiked-in a bit on some public lands (me carrying a box of clay pidgeons to, my forearms and fingers were less than please by the time we arrived at the spot, HaHA!)

Don't have a sling for his yet so he had to hold it in his hands during the hike-in/out. I was grinning hearing him whine about his arms. I remember when I started hunting few years back and always just carried it in my hands too. Since figured I needed the exercise. So I just grinned and told him his arms are just not used to it yet
smile.png

First shot I just placed a clay in a bush so it was stationary. ...Boom! (w Winchester sporting clays load, so as to not be so strong as the waterfowl loads purchased from you) "Owwwiiieee!" He exclaimed... but I was proud of him because he clamped down on himself to not whimp out. I think it was like the 3rd or 4th shot when I could tell it was stinging his virgin shoulder pretty darn good. Told him to put back on his puffy jacket.

Then I took a try with his. Trip out!... it was more sharp of a recoil then my Benelli SuperNova 12ga shooting 3" BBB Waterfowl loads!

Wisely... I'd changed the choked on his out to Improved Cylinder figuring it would widen the pattern a little to increase likelihood of him having success hitting clays in the air. That was a great call. I noticed I was a degree more adept at hitting the clays with his 870 with Imp Cyl, then how much I was with my Benelli w/ Mod Choke. (We were just throwing them up by hand, so maybe only 20-25yds of flight I'd guess?

But yeah, definitely noticed my Benelli shot softer though. I remember reading their literature and how they claim their stock design and recoil pad claim to reduce recoil by 35% and I DEFINITELY believe that to be true now.

My lil guy was a trooper though. He hung in their for about maybe 20 shots. And then he conveniently wanted to have fun throwing the clays for me
smile.png

And I do have to admit later on when I switched over to using his 870 with an Imp Cyl, that I was much more ninja with that slim, light, short barreled 20ga. Plus my brain was starting to figure it all out a lot better by then since this was about my fourth box in of the day by that point. But yeah... I definitely started to notice that the 870 was starting to create some soreness in my shoulder that wasn't there before, especially after I switched over to those 3" waterfowl Kent loads.

So then I inspected the difference between the two shotguns recoil pads and right away noticed how the 870's was much less pliable.

So a Quake Claw sling, and some kind of aftermarket recoil pad are definitely in the future for his "new" 870!

We had a great, quality, Father-Son day today. So I wanted to share that report with you and hope it brings a smile to your day too
smile.png

-G
Awesome, G. Hopefully it is the start of something great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheGDog
My plan is to get him his Hunting License this year, and I want to have him start off with trying to snipe Ground Squirrels off sticks with the .17 HMR. He's a damn good shot with his CZ 452 .22LR off a rest, and Squeeks are much less difficult to find.

Figure that'll give him practice shooting off the Kwik Stix, then when July rolls back around, figuring we'd go to that same spot for Rabbits all super-early like I did this year with the stealthy mesh Ghillie-suit when I took my daily limit by 6:45am. Figure we'd both be in concealment gear, and I'd just supervise him and whisper instructions, remind him to move slowly when positions the stix for the shot, etc.

And maybe this year, since shotguns are now part of the repertoire, I dunno, maybe we might do a double team and walk the brush together.

And I definitely wanna see if I can eventually get it to where we can do a double-team on predator-calling, where one of us takes rifle and other shotgun. I know I could definitely use the help of his 11yo eyes and ears.

Very cool, G......The lighter the gun (& shorter), the more noticed recoil.....I have never understood why Remington puts those hard recoil pads on their youth modeled shotguns.....Invest in a Limbsaver for him.....Having a sling goes without saying.

I find that semi have less recoil.
Pumps and single shot with 3in shell
Kick a little. But 20 gauge kicks a lot less
12 gauge. For sure.
Good luck with your boy.
I started with a single shot 12 gauge kicks Like a mule.
I got a used 12 gauge semi model 50
Winchester. I had good times that shoty. I was looking at middle of the
Line semi. Like the 1100 Remington.

Awesome G, the moment lots of dad's remember for ever. I don't remember shooting my first 410 or my .22 but I do remember when my pops handed over his model 12 Winchester 12 gauge and said... Give it a try. Sore and bruised but I knew it was a special moment in our lives. Congrats Larry.

Reactions: TheGDog
Very cool, G......The lighter the gun (& shorter), the more noticed recoil.....I have never understood why Remington puts those hard recoil pads on their youth modeled shotguns.....Invest in a Limbsaver for him.....Having a sling goes without saying.

Is a Limbsaver a product that completely replaces the original Recoil pad? OR... is it a slip-on product? I'm asking because I don't want to increase Length of Pull if I can help it.

And yeah... I was surprised because my .223 Rem Remington 783 has a pretty nice Recoil pad on it. And this 870 had one that *looks* very similar, yet seemed quite a bit denser/harder then the one on that 783.

Yeah... I once again explained to him about Newton's 2nd Law. And how if the gun is heavier that "equal and opposite reaction" has to first move that shotgun with more mass before the *remaining* recoil energy (now less) can then reach/transfer into him in the recoil.

Gotta use every opportunity you can to tie-in a child's mind to scientific concepts and foster a life-long love of learning!

LimbSaver recoil pads can be cut to fit.....They may even have one that fits out of the box (like SBE turkey gun)(.....Google is your friend.

OK... cool... looks like Turners carries it and they have both styles. Slip-on AND replacement. Thanks!

Though it's weird... they have two separate Model numbers for 870. One that states only 870... and one that states 870, 1100, 700BDL and a couple other models. I wrote Turners a note thru their site giving them my model of shotgun and asked them to verify which I need to order. Cross your fingers.

OK... cool... looks like Turners carries it and they have both styles. Slip-on AND replacement. Thanks!

Though it's weird... they have two separate Model numbers for 870. One that states only 870... and one that states 870, 1100, 700BDL and a couple other models. I wrote Turners a note thru their site giving them my model of shotgun and asked them to verify which I need to order. Cross your fingers.
I would do your own research as well. Limbsaver should be able to point you in the right direction for which replacement model you would need.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu