Tough Week of 'Fowling

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Started at San J Wednesday and it wasn't too bad.....21 ducks for 4 guys (one guy had 2).....Went back to San J with a friends #4 draw and it was brutal. Him and his dad never fired a shot and I got 4 spoons.....The area we were in flat out had few birds (it shot great on Wednesday).....I've seen this pattern before here and should've known not to take this site. And lastly, yesterday at Henshaw, Jacob killed a greenwing at daybreak and that was literally the last duck we saw.....Picked up all the decoys and brought them home.....With the big marsh now off limits, it's going to get tough up there.....Praying that these storms raise the lake into the woods ..... ;)

Oh, and to make the week even worse. My friend shot a buck on Thursday morning (last day of A-22) and we looked for it for 2 days without success. Blood for 1/2 mile, then never saw another drop....Real bummer..... :(

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    585.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    541 KB · Views: 32
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    514.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 39
I feel your pain, i could not have picked a worse spot this weekend as well. GOT ZERO ducks on sat! Had big numbers of bootlips stacked up in places i have never seen them before. ugh fail.. i hate el nino

KID CREOLE said:
Sorry Steve, hope it turn around soon

Stef,

Weird year.....Lots of great hunts and lots of stinkers....What I really miss most is the no local honkers.....Pretty much the end of an era around here..... :(

1 month or more in Canada next year..... ;)

ilovesprig,

Being new to the game, what do you mean by the big marsh being off limits? Is that the private area on the east side of the lake? Does that area being closed make the birds hole up there?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

garrettlandon said:
ilovesprig,

Being new to the game, what do you mean by the big marsh being off limits? Is that the private area on the east side of the lake? Does that area being closed make the birds hole up there?

It's basically the area straight across from the launch ramp.....From corner to corner back to the marsh.....If the lake comes to max before the season ends, it will be hard to determine where some of these boundaries are.....Right now it's pretty clear cut and most the widgeon are going in here.

Attachments

• IMG_5211.JPG
    IMG_5211.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5210.JPG
    IMG_5210.JPG
    523.2 KB · Views: 25
ilovesprig said:
garrettlandon said:
ilovesprig,

It's basically the area straight across from the launch ramp.....From corner to corner back to the marsh.....If the lake comes to max before the season ends, it will be hard to determine where some of these boundaries are.....Right now it's pretty clear cut and most the widgeon are going in here.

Thank you very much for the info! I was out there Saturday and did notice the water level had increased a bit. Curious to see what these next group of storms will bring

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu