Toxic Algae Found at San Jacinto Wildlife Area – Use Caution – Leave the Dog at Home

fish dog

Apr 28, 2015
Johnson City, TN
Tom Trakes of the San Jacinto Wildlife Area advised that water testing done at the Wildlife Area has shown elevated levels of toxic Algae in the ponds at SJWA and also on Mystic lake. This algae can be dangerous and has the potential to harm people and kill animals.

Details here...

sign-1.jpg

sign-2.jpg

My brother has been itching to go out in a wetsuit and retrieve ducks for us since he doesn’t have hunter safety, that will have to wait.

Wow, ill leave that place to all the l.a. hunters. Im not hunting aplace that has toxic water. Screw that.

damn and i have a number 3 for SJ tomorrow. looks like its off to finny ramer again.

Slippery slope closing down a portion of the wildlife area....They were NOT told it was required.

Hell, in the old days, they used gray water out there...No dogs or humans got sick.

IMO, this is more about environmental type people getting their feet into closing the wildlife area (along with developers)...Which they both want to do to hunting.

toxic algae is not new and pretty normal for this time of year. Do not let your dog eat a bunch of it

soon as it cools off it will go away

Reactions: sportyg and jth
I’ve caught fish in water with toxic algae and I have shot ducks in it also. I had no I’ll effects when I ate them. That was a few years ago, don’t think I’d eat them today. I can tell you for a fact toxic algae kills dogs. They only have to ingest a little bit and the dog dies. As I said in another post I had a friend who was throwing a ball in a contaminated pond for his dog to fetch. His dog died the next day while at the vet. I talked to my vet about this and he said there isn’t much they can do to save a dog from the poisoning. He said if they see a dog shortly after ingesting the toxic algae they can flush out the toxins but even then it’s not great odds that they can save the dog. So keep your dogs away from any water that has soupy greenish algae. If you hunt such an area leave your dog at home.

Why are they closing the blinds to hunters?
Just dont take your dog and dont drink the water.
Humans hunting it should be fine.
Or if you do take your dog thats your issue.
Seems like the nanny state.
Am I missing something?

Slippery slope closing down a portion of the wildlife area....They were NOT told it was required.

Hell, in the old days, they used gray water out there...No dogs or humans got sick.

IMO, this is more about environmental type people getting their feet into closing the wildlife area (along with developers)...Which they both want to do to hunting.
Steve,

Always a hard decision to close down a portion of an already small compound. However toxic algea is serious , not worth my dogs life and if you think a game is being played you can ctually go on the State/County website and get the offiicial testing results.

any update on this at San Jacinto? still posted or did it clear up with colder weather?
I and many others have been hunting with our dogs every hunt day of the season at San Jac. No reported issues with dogs so far this waterfowl season that I know of.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu