trading ammo?

Hunterfisher

Jan 19, 2020
i was wondering if it’s legal to trade ammo for ammo or if you have to do all the FFL bs? i have some 357 sig that i can’t use and no one i know has a 357 sig to trade with.

i was wondering if it’s legal to trade ammo for ammo or if you have to do all the FFL bs? i have some 357 sig that i can’t use and no one i know has a 357 sig to trade with.

Hate to ask a question that I should know or could get....But what is the Sig part mean?....I have a .357 rifle.

What do you want to trade for?

Last edited:
Is the .357 sig ammo you have, non lead by chance, if so, I might be up for working something out. legally that is .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: garlicsalt
I have long wondered this.. Most of the wording in the law relates to sales, but one section is more broad ...

(b) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur in a face-to-face transaction with the seller, deliverer, or transferor, provided, however, that ammunition may be purchased or acquired over the Internet or through other means of remote ordering if a licensed ammunition vendor initially receives the ammunition and processes the transaction in compliance with this section and Article 3 (commencing with Section 30342) of Chapter 1 of Division 10 of Title 4 of this part

this section is clearly meant to prevent online ammo purchases, but only requires a face-to-face on ammo transfers.. Section (a) only applies to sales, and that is the section that requires a licensed ammo vendor..

So it appears, if you aren't selling it, merely transferring ownership, and you do it face to face, you're good?

I have some old 30-30 and 338 Win Mag ammo that I don't have guns to shoot it with.. such a pain in the butt.

ya i just looked it up and the law says if you’re giving it to a friend, shooting partner, or family you’re good

(b) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur if a licensed ammunition vendor initially receives the ammunition and processes the transaction in compliance with this section and Article 3 (commencing with Section 30342) of Chapter 1 of Division 10 of Title 4 of this part

Seems pretty unambiguous that it needs to go through an ffl.

i’ve re read it again multiple times. and prop 63 doesn’t include giving friends or family ammo. also the link that i posted comes from an anti gun law firm that updated there info march 21 this year. if it was law im pretty sure they would make it clear that it wouldn’t be legal.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu