Traeger pellet grill opinions

Boss hog pellets out of Albertsons when I’m in a pinch and they work great, other then that I run traeger

I run several different brands and wood types depending upon what I am cooking etc. I can tell the difference specifically on certain foods. Also some pellets burn hotter that others. I typically use a blend.

20210606_180831.jpg

Reactions: Jackpot
Stick to the hearty pellets on wild game. Cherry and Apply just dont cut it IMO. Maple or Hickory are hard to be along with some of the blends. However, your taste may vary.

Guys, wife is buying me a traeger pro 575 wifi pellet grill for Father’s Day. She can’t keep a secret, lol. Was wondering if it’s worth the cost or if there are better options out there for the money. I know a few of you have traegers, so thought I would get some opinions. Size wise, I think it will be big enough for my use. But at that price range, I wanted to make sure people liked them. Any opinions would be helpful.
Definitely get it with WIFI.

Reactions: BubbaEff
Well we ended up cancelling the previous order and went and bought the Costco silverton 620 model. The Temecula Costco had a $70.00 dollar off discount,plus it was bigger with a lot of upgrades and it was cheaper. Kind of a win win. Seasoning the grill as I type this. I now know what I am doing tomorrow, lol. Just gotta figure out what to put on the grill first.

1623551359446.jpeg

I've always had great results with "Lumberjack Pellets" They are made completely with the hardwood that it states, vs a mix of whatever plus some seasoning/flavoring added to the pellets. I have seen a huge difference in the taste. I'm a little OCD when it comes to cooking, granted its not a bad thing..

Congrats on the new rig! Get into the habit of vacuuming out the fire cup before each use. Yes I said vacuum, a shop vac works well, I use a cheap car one just for it. This will help with less headaches down the line, as well as much more consistent performance, which is what smoking comes down to.

The Lumberjack Pellets she available on amazon, lots of flavors/options. https://bbqlumberjack.com/

Enjoy!

Reactions: SCH1
Thanks for the responses. I’ll have to order some Lumberjack pellets. I’ve heard them mentioned on some bbq forums also. I need to stop looking on the bbq forums though. Already bought the MK4 thermometer and now I’m reading about people using theses fire board temperature probe controllers because they don’t like the probes for the traegers. Lol. Can see this turning into a money pit if I keep reading the bbq forums. On another note I did smoke some ribs this weekend for the first time and they came out awesome. Forgot to take pics though.

Its a fun, delicious journey! At least its something that we all have to do to live..
I've had my eye on these. Thanks to Guga foods..

Just wait until you get a sous vide machine. (Which I recommend) Another rabbit hole.

Hobby/lifestyle forums are always going to make you feel like you need everything and have almost nothing

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu