Trail cam question

Prime

Nov 21, 2012
North County
Hey guys,

This is my first time using trail cams...I know I know... Anyway, I have a question about the cameras. I put them up on May 14th, and by May 22nd, one of them had taken over 6000 images and the batteries were dead. I went to swap out the SD cards yesterday when I found that out. The other one lasted until mid July with 6800 pics on the SD card, not as bad. Both cameras had pictures of deer and other critters, but most of the images were of nothing but the grass and trees. I'm sure it's an error on my behalf when I set it up, or maybe it's from the grass and trees that are in front of it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Max

yup, I feel you bro. I've had the same results before. I've made a few adjustments as in making sure I don't place it in front of brush that will move with a breeze or I cut some of the thin brush that I think will move. I also now change out the batteries with new ones every time I check on them to make sure they are new and charged up. Some of the higher end cams have adjustments available.

Max,

Lower end cameras just do this.....Any movement makes them go off.....Your best bet is to try and put your cameras in areas that have little wind or where brush doesn't move unless it's blowing hard.....Batteries in my cameras last close to a year (AA's).....The cameras will also tell your how much charge you have left.....I get about 6-700 pix per week, with maybe about 5 % blank.....If the animals are near the camera (sides) that will make it go off too.....You do lose a few pix, with a less sensitive setting, if they're moving fast.

Check them more often.....It's fun.....:grinning:

ps.....Damn date is wrong again on bottom....Operator error this time....lol

.170.JPG 832.JPG

Last edited:
the wind definitely causes issues. checking more often helps , or better camera placement, or just better cameras. I set my camera so it spreads the time it takes an other picture. trial and error. take work and effort.

Those are some cool pics!

I definitely need to get out there and check them more often, always fun out in the field. When I go put them back up I'll try to position them a little differently, where there's no moving trees and grass right in front of them. I'll probably lower the sensitivity on the Bushnell as well. Trial and error. Thanks for the info guys!

Here's a few pictures of some of the stuff that was on them.
05220188.JPG 05220195.JPG 05220196.JPG STC_0204.JPG STC_1521.JPG STC_2437.JPG STC_3630.JPG STC_4493.JPG

Reactions: longbowhunter2
There actually was one turkey, I'm surprised that there aren't more. It looks to be perfect habitat. I forgot to put that image in there. It was when I left them there for a few days to test them out before I did the first check and adjustments on the 14th. And looking back at the picture, I think I found my problem. The camera got angled down further when I checked them on the 14th so more of the long grass is in the frame. Perhaps that's what was triggering the camera. 05120154.JPG

Nesting hen.......;)

Dang that road looks familiar.......But I know there's a lot that look like this......Any chance this is MCC in Mesa Grande?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu