Travel trailer for hunting

Had to put extra 2x6 on front right and right rear wheels and a few extra pad blocks under the load levelers to get to set level. There's 2 level gauges. Or it doesn't open smoothly... Wish I'd got to use it more....

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
24' toyhauler. That'll be the limit of what you want to tow with a 1500 but it'll have everything you need. Having a built in generator and fuel station for the atv's is extremely nice. The old one didnt have those so it got old constantly hauling gas and use cans. Also going outside to start the generator every time I microwave something sucked.

Thanks good idea on cooking outside. My intended use for now for the trailer is for dispersed camping at duck/upland camp in the desert. Model year is 1984, tandem axel, 17 ft. Expecting +90F Temps so AC is a must. I do have dual LP gas tanks plus a spare robbed from the BBQ. Will have to get a generator as none is installed. Will likely need to upgrade my Tacoma tow vehicle. Considering a tundra.
If you are camping off grid ,solar is the way to go. You will need enough battery storage to support the rig. If you are using air-conditioning a good Generatoris needed. My rig has over 1300 watts of solar on the roof.
IMG_3435.JPG

24' toyhauler. That'll be the limit of what you want to tow with a 1500 but it'll have everything you need. Having a built in generator and fuel station for the atv's is extremely nice. The old one didnt have those so it got old constantly hauling gas and use cans. Also going outside to start the generator every time I microwave something sucked.
never heard of a built in fuel station. I will have to check that out.

Here's my hunting rig. Has a bathroom ,ac, heat, microwave , honda generator. Solar panel. Room for a quad or electric hunting bikes,40gal fresh water tanks. Hot water system. dual propane tanks dual batteries. lots of storage sleeps 4 easily.. Tows nice.has electric braking system
nice setup.

I think you really need to make sure your tow rig is set up and can handle what you plan on towing. Heavy duty transmission and an engine rated well above what your travel weight will be are a minimum. There are so many good trailers out there. Some are set up better for light off road use. That would be good to have. I tow a boat. Trailer maintenance for me is key. Solid tires. Check the suspension and hook ups. Buying a trailer is easy. Towing it and maintaining one is where the skill is at.

John

John
no doubt about that.

Does anyone know how to prevent the gray and black water tank and outside bottom pipes from freezing? I was in the mountains in NV and that kept me up at night.
We had the heater running all night inside and I think that helped.
Heat trace and insulation i would guess.

never heard of a built in fuel station. I will have to check that out.
Most newer toy haulers have those. Some will have two fuel tanks. One for genny and one for fueling toys. I've found the 40 gallon fuel capacity on mine lasts way longer than originally anticipated.

At my brother's wedding we ran the ac (generator) for two days straight and fueled the polaris and used half a tank.

As for fresh water, it's 150gal and has lasted a family of 5 non water conservative people a week.

For the freezing, heat tape is your friend. So is skirting the trailer.

Sorry for not quoting more than one post, didn't know how and not willing to learn.

Most newer toy haulers have those. Some will have two fuel tanks. One for genny and one for fueling toys. I've found the 40 gallon fuel capacity on mine lasts way longer than originally anticipated.

At my brother's wedding we ran the ac (generator) for two days straight and fueled the polaris and used half a tank.

As for fresh water, it's 150gal and has lasted a family of 5 non water conservative people a week.

For the freezing, heat tape is your friend. So is skirting the trailer.

Sorry for not quoting more than one post, didn't know how and not willing to learn.

Yeah, ours is a single 24 gallon and runs the generator and bikes. It has been PLENTY even with heavy generator use and filling both quads.

For the OP you just pull up like at a gas station and fill up. No more worrying about spilled cans or someone stealing your gas when you're out. I think our water is 70 gallons which has been plenty as well for 2/3 people over a week. I'd also be cautious how big of a trailer you get. Having one that is big enough to have modern amenities and fit your toy(s) but not so big where you get stuck all the time or can't get it back down a forest road.

Yeah, ours is a single 24 gallon and runs the generator and bikes. It has been PLENTY even with heavy generator use and filling both quads.

For the OP you just pull up like at a gas station and fill up. No more worrying about spilled cans or someone stealing your gas when you're out. I think our water is 70 gallons which has been plenty as well for 2/3 people over a week. I'd also be cautious how big of a trailer you get. Having one that is big enough to have modern amenities and fit your toy(s) but not so big where you get stuck all the time or can't get it back down a forest road.
Thanks. Wish I knew what that right size is. Sounds like maybe in the mid 20 ft range.

PS it would need to accommodate 4 large people and a dog.

Reactions: 180ls1
Thanks. Wish I knew what that right size is. Sounds like maybe in the mid 20 ft range.

That sounds about right. We upgraded from 21' to 24' and it was nice, usually 2 guys sometimes 3 but could add another without being too cramped. Weekend warrior makes a 25' superlite that would probably fit the bill. You would get a front sleeper also. Once you get 27'+ you really start to have a big/heavy trailer that will drag its tail easy on dirt roads. It sounds strange but an extra few feet would definitely limit the spots we camp and makes it much more cumbersome.

To me, I mainly want a warm shower, warm food, a place to relax and get good rest in the cold. I don't care about having a TV, layzboy, full-size kitchen.

That sounds about right. We upgraded from 21' to 24' and it was nice, usually 2 guys sometimes 3 but could add another without being too cramped. Weekend warrior makes a 25' superlite that would probably fit the bill. You would get a front sleeper also. Once you get 27'+ you really start to have a big/heavy trailer that will drag its tail easy on dirt roads. It sounds strange but an extra few feet would definitely limit the spots we camp and makes it much more cumbersome.

To me, I mainly want a warm shower, warm food, a place to relax and get good rest in the cold. I don't care about having a TV, layzboy, full-size kitchen.
I'm right there with you on the amenities. HVAC, fridge, bed, toilet, and the family is good. We want to spend most of our time outside the trailer chasing critters.

Here's my hunting rig. Has a bathroom ,ac, heat, microwave , honda generator. Solar panel. Room for a quad or electric hunting bikes,40gal fresh water tanks. Hot water system. dual propane tanks dual batteries. lots of storage sleeps 4 easily.. Tows nice.has electric braking system
I have a very similar model only its made by Rockwood, bought it last year.

Reactions: Fishnplay57

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu