Trout Season!

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
I love san diego and the many opportunities to fish stockies. i know my family loves fish for dinner so ill be out fighting the circus to land a couple.

as of now the only lake with trout will be santee lakes as they are planting 1,000 this sat. cant wait. their stocking schedule is posted on their website. ill be scouting for turkey down south and on the wau home try to land a couple stockies.

hope to see you guys out on the lakes i know its hard to balance the both around this time. if anyone is willing to come fish with me let me know!

FISH ON!

ive only went after bass there. i live north county so dixon is my home water.

Started going to lake wholford instead of Dixon last summer and had pretty good luck on the catfish but there are lots of small ones. Felt like I was feeding them not catching them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Was up at Big Bear Lake a couple months back. Water level was crazy low, but trout jumping everywhere!
Took my 14yr old daughter and her friend fishing early one morning. Set the hook and let them reel in most of them.
10 or so nice rainbow trout, various sizes, some decent size! Kids loved it.
Fed the extended family of 20 that night.

big bear trout.jpg

Sdlivin, nice. Where on the lake were you? What were you using? Very nice trout. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

North shore, about a 1/2 mile or so from the western dam. Water was so low, lots of weeds to deal with, but found a little area that was clear enough to get 3 lines in the water. All on floating power bait various colors/flavors on small treble hooks, run a few split shots 3ish' up the line to make sure the bait sits above the weeds. Lots of other lines in the water, but we seem to have done far better then most. I chalk it up to running very light line, 2lb and 4lb max. With that light a line, and having the girls catching, we probably lost half as many as we caught. Couple hours and we were done.

Was up at Big Bear Lake a couple months back. Water level was crazy low, but trout jumping everywhere!
Took my 14yr old daughter and her friend fishing early one morning. Set the hook and let them reel in most of them.
10 or so nice rainbow trout, various sizes, some decent size! Kids loved it.
Fed the extended family of 20 that night.

View attachment 36682
Nice. We just got a cabin up there but I know nothing about fishing there so I have some poking around to do. You ever fish the creeks, like the Santa Ana River or others?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

North shore, about a 1/2 mile or so from the western dam. Water was so low, lots of weeds to deal with, but found a little area that was clear enough to get 3 lines in the water. All on floating power bait various colors/flavors on small treble hooks, run a few split shots 3ish' up the line to make sure the bait sits above the weeds. Lots of other lines in the water, but we seem to have done far better then most. I chalk it up to running very light line, 2lb and 4lb max. With that light a line, and having the girls catching, we probably lost half as many as we caught. Couple hours and we were done.
Thanks SDlivin. Yes, you did great. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Did it for the kids! and a little bit for me :)
Got another couple young female anglers for life though, I'll tell you that.

In answer to a few of the other questions.
Longbow: I know there are several camping areas, not sure on the rv hook-ups, but sure they have something!
SurfnhuntSD: bought a cabin up there? This is my dream. Never fished the creeks, sounds like fun though....

SurfnhuntSD: bought a cabin up there? This is my dream. Never fished the creeks, sounds like fun though....

Inlaws did.. but basically our own, keys and all.. and I intend to use it fully lol. I don't snowboard so I figured I'd need to start figuring out the fishing up there.. and hunting, if any.

Big Bear is great also for holdover trout, the ones they plant as fingerlings, trout are not able to spawn successfully up there because of low creek water levels but the little ones they plant every fall have no problem surviving all year long, they aré as good as wild and they fight hard. You can catch them deep by the dam sometimes or trolling. Some of them are huge. Also Bear Creek which flows out of the lake is the only water in So Cal were you can catch wild brown trout, tough upside down hike to get to them though, lots of brush and lots of rattlers.

Inlaws did.. but basically our own, keys and all.. and I intend to use it fully lol. I don't snowboard so I figured I'd need to start figuring out the fishing up there.. and hunting, if any.

Awesome, someone else's payment, your enjoyment. Jealous to say the least. Plenty to do up there. I used to snowboard a lot, but not so much anymore. Waters sports, and lots of off road trails, mild to wild. Would imagine there has to be some hunting opportunities in the region.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu