turkey day (what could have been)

mangycoyote

Feb 7, 2013
Well you will have to forgive me if I rant a little. Im trying not to be angry but hard not to be.

we headed out to a spot that I like to hunt in CNF. The area I I know very well spending a lot of time in there. There is private property near by, but know exactly the property line is because I have spokenwith the land owner during deer season.

We set up our ground blind facing east over looking a meadow and a drop off into the valley.
At sunrise we hear our first gobble. A few minutes later another. We start to call. Then we hear another gobble from another direction. So for an hour we slowly call this gobbler in. We know he is getting closer but can't make a visual on him. With my bow in hand ready to draw and drill him. My heart is racing.

then a truck drives down the gravel road behind us and stops. I can see a young guy get out. yhe whole time im thinking " dude what are you doing ? Get away from my ground blind" then he says something to the effect that we were on private property. And he was angry.
Hunts over for us right there. I know that I am on CNF land. I get out of the blind and tell him that on CNF. He responds the he is the only allowed to hunt here and no one else. His partner get out of the truck with a shot gun. I told him that I have spoken with the land owner in the very spot where I am at during der season he never told me I was on private poperty. I asked him "where is your property line?" The reponse its none of your concern.

so we pack it because I dont feel like getting shot by some DBag. As we are walking out the land owner drives by. And we talk for a few minutes at which time he tells us we did not trespass and that in fact we were on CNF. The other guys were wrong. That we should go back and finish hunting.

I am still angry. Having a shotgun pulled out on us kinda ruined my day. Id rather go home and see my family. Should I let it go?

Man I'd be upset too. That is so uncool. I assume their bringing the shotgun out was deliberately threatening and not just stupid. Can you describe the pickup?

Sent via Tapatalk

I know the make and model of truck and I have the land owners number. But not sure what else can be done after the fact

Put the spot online. I'll check it out. Blow there honey hole out. Also if I'm right I won't leave

It was Chaos out there today We didn't here a gobbler all morning? Why you ask 30 hunters decided to descend on the Love Valley not at sunrise but at 7am Noise loud talking Just complete jerks...Morons out there shooting up ranchers water trough and barn walls.
This is why we have such a tough time with land owners No respect what so ever for what is going on around them.
Saw hens everywhere at Fry Creek...Thats up hump tho..to the very back of CNF
I didn't here one shot all day didn't even here a gobbler...So bummed But I can hunt during the week so there is that.
I didn't here of many birds being taken. The love valley was crawling with them 2 weeks ago...I saw one hen poop and 2 feathers..
Turkey Hunters EVERYWHERE!

Sorry to hear about your experience today. I went to LPNF and heard some gobbles. Seen one nice beard but on private land. Lots of misinforming signs that said no hunting in recreational area, but on the boards at every entrance, it says hunting is allowed. So we talked to the ranger and he said hunting isn't allowed. Wtf?

If you really feel like he was threatening you, you should report it to police. By not reporting it you are not doing him or any of us a favor if he decides to do it again! Turning him in is not being a cowardly what is cowardly is threatening someone with a shotgun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would propably talk to the land owner and try to get his permission revoked for pulling such a disrespectful move. That makes me angry that your completly legal and he comes in not knowing property lines and acts like he owns the place... Maybe hes related, I don't know the situation, but I would be pissed. Sucky but smart move to want to see the family over being right.

Spoke to baddoggie about what happen. Glad to have the situation resolved. Ill be back in that area soon to hopefully put a gobbler down!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu