Turkey Hunting Alone

Rogerskd

Marine hunter
Feb 1, 2013
oak park
OK so I have an issue I will be hunting alone and am not so good with a mouth call. I have a box call and a slate call but the problem that I am running into is that with the bow how do I keep the toms coming in if I have to stop calling to draw back the bow. I can make sound with the mouth call but I'm not sure that it is a good call. should i just try to make the calls with the mouth call and hope that its not so bad that they run the other way. Thanks for any advice I may be getting the first turkey hunt jitters lol

Start practicing with a mouth call. Unless a gobbler is gobbling with each step you defining don't want to over call. Once you get a Tom comitted, stop and make him look for you. If I get a bird fired up, I usually cal Serrano times until he is about 60 to 100 yards out and just stop. If he's wanting to find the hen, you'll usually end up making him anxious and just let his curiosity bring him to you.

There's been more birds killed with a box call so that's a great fist call to master. Another call you could use is a push/pull call and you can even find one that you can mount to your bow. To tell you the truth for the first turkey I always recommend folks to use a shotgun so that they can see the basic dynamics of turkeys hunting. Just my two cents worth.

Great advice........why make it harder than it already is for your first one.

Sometimes you can find some camo fabric and make a portable blind with some sticks and/or bungee cords. I try and make a corner with the blind that way if they come in other than in front of you.....you have a little more cover to move around. Then draw when he's not looking and make the shot quickly because he most likely saw you and is getting ready to run! The way it has gone down with me is he looks away, I draw, he looks in my direction and the arrow is already on it's way.
A decoy can also help when bow hunting them or I have had help from some hens in the area that kept him looking the other way. I have shot two with the bow up at Laguna and both times I lost so much meat I really don't care to do it again.

Good luck and have fun!

SD let me know how it goes. Matagi I plan to take the shotgun with me want to give myself the best chance.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu