Turkey Inquiry

PACountryboy123

"My Idea of Heaven is Chasin' Whitetail Bucks"
Dec 3, 2013
Wildomar, CA
Hey guys, as stated in my introduction post i'm new to the SoCal hunting scene. So I wanted to see if anyone could give me some insight on the Turkey scene. I'm not as familiar with the Zones, so if could give me a reference by city of the regions where the turkey population is prevelant. Appriciate it. Thanks.

Hey PACountry,
Check this link from NWTF. There should be Rios in the hills east of the Central Valley, and Merriam's are common in San Diego County. We see them in the Cleveland National Forest all the time... except when we are hunting them ;)
http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_4_9-9-09.pdf

I wish NWTF would change the San Diego turkey sub specie from Merriams to Rio Grande and Rio Grande/eastern Hybrid. Merriams turkey was once released in the 70's right before the Laguna fire. The fire pretty much wiped all the turkeys released at that time. The Rio Grande/Eastern hybrids were brought in from Kansas and San Luis Obispo back in early 90's onto three private ranches in the SD back country and that's what we have now.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu