Turkey Scouting right after the rain

Skunk

Feb 8, 2016
Went scouting this last weekend for a spot we were blessed to get from the Turkey Tuneup a few weeks ago. My son insisted on going this to search. I'm sure glad I took his 7 year old butt. He founds the tracks when I couldn't. It being right after the rain, all the ground was washed fresh. Meaning the tracks we did find were new! We found some areas that look like they were scratching too.
Couldn't get them to talk back but my son was making plenty of noise. No feathers and only a couple dropping. Still new to this so working on learning more to teach him more.
Can't wait to get back out and look some more.
After we got on lobster fishing trip and caught a bunch of sand dollars.
Any feedback would be appreciated on the birds:)
Be blessed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458066933.852825.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458066933.852825.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 82
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458066994.617332.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458066994.617332.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 85
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458067022.330312.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458067022.330312.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 85
Good job getting out there and finding the tracks. I'm always very hesitant to call when I'm scouting, especially if I'm moving. I'd be afraid of pushing them off. Only exception would be a locator call perhaps.

Thanks Bonejour. I will definitely keep that in mind next time out. We were pretty loud already so I'm sure if they were around they left the moment my son started screaming when he found tracks. Lol

Awsome! Congrats on the draw, hope you guys do well. Great to hear your son was so interested in actually hunting. I really love the write up.

Thanks masterblaster. I was never able to do things like this with my pops. He was always working to put food on the table and a roof over our head. I'm happier than he even knows that he enjoys it as much as I do.

Good find.....And like Don said, using turkey calls before the season isn't really recommended.....Try your crow, duck, varmint, peacock, or coyote yelper.....Much more natural for a shock gobble.

And rain/mud is your friend for fresh tracks...... ;)

Attachments

• 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    576.1 KB · Views: 21
That's great advice. I will use my hoot call and varmint calls next time out scouting. Thanks guys!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu