turkey scouting

SDbear

I am looking to expand my territory down into the pine creek wilderness. Anyone have experience down there? Thoughts or concerns with that area? I have only mapped it and havn't seen it first hand. Feel free to private message me.

The key to finding a tom this year is going to be water. The hens need to best near some sort of water source for poults so if the water is there, the birds should work their way in there. I took a nice tom in there back in the late 90s.

Matagi said:
The key to finding a tom this year is going to be water. The hens need to best near some sort of water source for poults so if the water is there, the birds should work their way in there. I took a nice tom in there back in the late 90s.
The key to find toms this year might not be to hunt over water its raining a bit in ramona so hopefully they wont be holed up at water sources

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless it rains for several days straight, the rain we got today isn't going to do too much to keep creeks and ponds filled till spring. It's not so much hunting over water but finding a place that has some sort of water source where the birds can hydrate.

Im not much of a turkey hunter but ive hiked down into the Pine Creek area quite a few times. Lots of illegal activity down there. Did an overnight backpacking trip starting in Pine Valley area. Came across multiple, recently used camps with tons of garbage.

I personally wouldn't go down there alone and without a pistol or some 00 buck shot. My dad came across a load of dope in backpacks lying next to the creek last year. He took Border Patrol down there to recover it. Pretty frustrating but its definitely something to be aware of.

Agreed. I've been through the southern portion and seen some weird stuff too. But yea the area I scouted was real steep canyons with a few narrow spots that might hold some birds,except the streams aren't running much.

went last week end in same area to scout/ look around for the SD ghost pigs... lots of turkey... never saw one off of private land... there out there. gota get good at callin them over

Breacher said:
Im not much of a turkey hunter but ive hiked down into the Pine Creek area quite a few times. Lots of illegal activity down there. Did an overnight backpacking trip starting in Pine Valley area. Came across multiple, recently used camps with tons of garbage.

I personally wouldn't go down there alone and without a pistol or some 00 buck shot. My dad came across a load of dope in backpacks lying next to the creek last year. He took Border Patrol down there to recover it. Pretty frustrating but its definitely something to be aware of.

Thanks for the warning!

I went down there recently, didn't see any turkey (there was water flowing where we were), but I was wondering why there were soooo many empty backpacks in the woods (kinda common sense now that I think about it).

I had a rifle and a hunting partner... still don't like the idea of coming across drug runners or whatever!

Flecko said:
Breacher said:

Thanks for the warning!

I went down there recently, didn't see any turkey (there was water flowing where we were), but I was wondering why there were soooo many empty backpacks in the woods (kinda common sense now that I think about it).

I had a rifle and a hunting partner... still don't like the idea of coming across drug runners or whatever!

Lots of trash from illegals as well. One more thing I saw down there was the biggest poison oak leaves I've ever seen in my life. I caught a monster horny toad also see if I can dig out a picture.

Back