Turkeys are frustrating.. a cautionary tale

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Turkey season's coming up and thought I'd share a tale from a few years back. Larry length..

Maybe 2015 or so I hunted my usual opening day spot. A remote but popular spot on public land that's known to hold some birds. Scouted a week before and saw at least a few gobblers working the field.

On opener, there was only 1 huge gobbler with about 8 hens, and the hunters outnumbered them easily. Calling was futile, as the gobbler cared little with so many hens by his side. This went on for the next couple of days, and I persisted hunting this spot. I even reached out for advice from Gen, a well known turkey killer, and he advised I was pretty much SOL. So I took matters into my own hands...

Next day I brought the fan from an old jake I shot, having been inspired from those dumb Amish hunting vids. The gobbler and his hens were about 300 yards out and he was gobbling to my calls, but still didn't give a shit with his harem around.

So I went for it... crawled those 300 yards, stopping every so often when he looked over, holding the fan up to distract him. Seemed like eternity, but somehow got within 60 yards or so, and he was still there, cautiously eyeing me in the grass with my jake fan up. Figuring this was the closest I'd get, I got up on one knee and dialed him in, and took the shot. Seemed like the whole valley stopped in time, and he flopped like a wild bronco right there.

I dropped everything and ran up to him, with his hens dispersed, and there he was... a monster longbeard, the biggest I've seen up close, flopping slowly on the ground beneath me. My heart beating in my chest, I put my boot on his neck to calm him down, and once he stilled, I thought to go gather my things.

I got my phone for the obligatory pic, and my shotgun, but when I looked up, I saw the dead turkey rise up and take off on foot at full speed. IT CAN'T BE! HE WAS DEAD! I took off after him, running full speed across the meadow, even taking another far shot, with no luck. The SOB evaded me. UNREAL.

That hunt still haunts me to this day. More so than the monster billy goat I missed with a bow at 40 yards, and more so than the first buck I missed. Cautionary tale... make sure he's dead and ready to bag before you start celebrating. Turkeys are tough sons of bitches. Here's to turkey season!

Still chasing my first turkey and I will take your advice and if I get lucky I will make sure he's dead!

Missed my chance a couple years back got a group of Jake's to come out the "valley" I was like Jake's are off limits but my hunting buddy gave me pass as it would be my first turkey. They came in on a string took the shot and yep I missed just a few feathers on the ground! I am still hooked on those damn birds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Jason,

That's a great story and lesson...I've heard of similar tales and had a big tom do it to me once... :eek:

The very 1st SD county youth hunt in Heise Park, I had a 1st time hunter...I call in a big tom and the boy let's loose...Drops the gobbler in his tracks...We no sooner starting celebrating and big guy gets up and starts running away...I get up and give chase...Down the mountain we go...I finally catch up to him and leap on him...After he beats the $hit out of me, he finally succumbs...:joy:

Dang things are tough...;)

.junior hunt 2011 007.JPG

Last edited:
Turkey season's coming up and thought I'd share a tale from a few years back. Larry length..

Maybe 2015 or so I hunted my usual opening day spot. A remote but popular spot on public land that's known to hold some birds. Scouted a week before and saw at least a few gobblers working the field.

On opener, there was only 1 huge gobbler with about 8 hens, and the hunters outnumbered them easily. Calling was futile, as the gobbler cared little with so many hens by his side. This went on for the next couple of days, and I persisted hunting this spot. I even reached out for advice from Gen, a well known turkey killer, and he advised I was pretty much SOL. So I took matters into my own hands...

Next day I brought the fan from an old jake I shot, having been inspired from those dumb Amish hunting vids. The gobbler and his hens were about 300 yards out and he was gobbling to my calls, but still didn't give a shit with his harem around.

So I went for it... crawled those 300 yards, stopping every so often when he looked over, holding the fan up to distract him. Seemed like eternity, but somehow got within 60 yards or so, and he was still there, cautiously eyeing me in the grass with my jake fan up. Figuring this was the closest I'd get, I got up on one knee and dialed him in, and took the shot. Seemed like the whole valley stopped in time, and he flopped like a wild bronco right there.

I dropped everything and ran up to him, with his hens dispersed, and there he was... a monster longbeard, the biggest I've seen up close, flopping slowly on the ground beneath me. My heart beating in my chest, I put my boot on his neck to calm him down, and once he stilled, I thought to go gather my things.

I got my phone for the obligatory pic, and my shotgun, but when I looked up, I saw the dead turkey rise up and take off on foot at full speed. IT CAN'T BE! HE WAS DEAD! I took off after him, running full speed across the meadow, even taking another far shot, with no luck. The SOB evaded me. UNREAL.

That hunt still haunts me to this day. More so than the monster billy goat I missed with a bow at 40 yards, and more so than the first buck I missed. Cautionary tale... make sure he's dead and ready to bag before you start celebrating. Turkeys are tough sons of bitches. Here's to turkey season!
Jason,
I can picture you running full speed chasing the dead turkey!!!!!

Jason the same happened to me except with a traditional bow, hit it dead on and got up and flew a way. never found it. lol they are tough, using a broad head.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu