Turned down Mosin bolt?

Any gunsmiths in SD turn down Mosin bolt handles? I'm looking to put a scope on my 91/30 and figured I could either send out the bolt to bend or buy a bent one, or find someone local to do it. Suggestions?
I got a big hammer.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
My younger brother just simply cut and re-welded back on the bolt handle with a MIG setup. It was nice and clean, and it's not like that part will receive a bunch of forces applied to it anyway.

My younger brother just simply cut and re-welded back on the bolt handle with a MIG setup. It was nice and clean, and it's not like that part will receive a bunch of forces applied to it anyway.
I had the same though.
However have a hardness test done on the bolt. If it's high hardness treated steel it will induce cracks.
With out special precautions.
It may need cut. Then cut ends drawed back to annealed state at the ends. But if the hardness is not over 40 HRc. It should be fine.

Pre-heating the bolt before welding will help prevent cracking. Not knowing the final temper. I would not go over 250 deg F.
As not soften the whole bolt.
The welded area will be harden an adjacent will be annealed from the heat of the weld.
Other than that piece of cake.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu