Two questions:

Chadwick

Walk softly and carry a bent stick
Nov 23, 2014
Fairbanks
www.primalbows.com
1) How early do they get up? I was on public land for the last two days; yesterday morning I went out and did a long circuitous hike calling occasionally --- no responses. Then I was back in camp at 0900 making coffee and had toms coming to our campsite, gobbling, from two different directions. Were they not up yet during my earlier hike?

2) Ethics question --- If you see a treestand on public land that's been there for months, is it poor form to sit in it?

I would avoid doing much calling while scouting. This morning the birds flew down from the roost around 6:45. When you hen call to them and they see you instead of a hen, you'll just make it harder when the season opens.

Some people leave their stands up year round and tree stand hunting isn't really ideal for turkey hunting so if I were you, I would just leave it alone. You'll have a better time turkey hunting at the base of a tree.

I wouldn't be calling in the woods where I'm hunting either......The flydown this morning was 6:40......Gobblers right now quit gobbling when they hit the ground, if they've got hens. A couple of days ago, I couldn't even get gobbles in trees where I knew there were birds.......Every day and every gobbler is different..... ???

Mid morning is really when they can fire up after losing hens......They'll always be some birds with hens because ginny's don't necessarily breed or they breed very late. It's those roving dominant toms that really can get hot...... :-*

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu