Unreadable Drake Spoony Band

FlyByWigeon

Dec 5, 2019
Howdy all,

I shot a banded drake spoony this past Saturday where the last 4 digits are worn off. I wanted to get opinions on if my only option is to send it in? Do they end up ruining the band? Is there something I can do myself to read the numbers without sending it in for acid etching? In certain lighting I can maybe see some numbers but it's not 100%. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks20201122_093810.jpgIMG_20201121_160143_313.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an old warrior of a spoony...life-size with some habitat?

Take some pics of It. I can read numbers in the photo. Might try some pencle graphite rubbed on it lightly.

If not drive on. Spoons are always in the mud and it wears them down quick.

Reactions: chessie
Howdy all,

I shot a banded drake spoony this past Saturday where the last 4 digits are worn off. I wanted to get opinions on if my only option is to send it in? Do they end up ruining the band? Is there something I can do myself to read the numbers without sending it in for acid etching? In certain lighting I can maybe see some numbers but it's not 100%. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
I shot a banded gadwall with no readable numbers. Sent it to the BBL for acid etching, they sent back the band unharmed and got all the numbers.

I would contact by phone...The numbers seem to be very readable, that I can see...The bird appears young as well (poor plumage)…Maybe it's possible they can determine the bird with just the numbers you have.

I once sent a snow band in and it was returned...No problem.

Nice work! Congrats! I wonder how many times I whiffed on that one over the past 7 years!?!

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu