Upland game 12g shotgun

InDeepShip

Nov 7, 2021
Kinda want a upland quail bird gun. I'm looking for mainly 12 because of ammo available. Anyone have one they might want to part with? CZ upland or Savage Stevens 555 is what I've turned up online.
Kinda looking around that 800$ price point.

If not John I might be headed your way once I get back from this work trip.

Reactions: socalhntr
Can't go wrong w/a CZ. I have a Bobwhite and the All-terrain Drake and I love them both! Next, I want the Sharptail in 16ga.

Kinda want a upland quail bird gun. I'm looking for mainly 12 because of ammo available. Anyone have one they might want to part with? CZ upland or Savage Stevens 555 is what I've turned up online.

Need to be a little more specific with what you want. Are you looking only at over/under guns? Or only double guns? Or is everything on the table? For 900-1000 you can get into a 12 gauge citori, which in my opinion is a much better purchase than the two guns you listed. If we’re talking autos also there is more to look at.

There's a lot of Turkish semi autos in that and below that price range...Stoeger's seem to be
better these days and I have friends that like them...Could even find a Benelli M-2 possibly for that price...Which is a great upland gun..

12 guage is over the top for upland unless you plan on turkey's as well. 12 ga is never a bad choice just a heavier more bulky gun. 20 guage will get it done other wise and is just as available ammo wise. same question as Kellen, what type of action are you looking for ?

Sorry I'm currently at sea so internet is spotty. Sorry I should have said in the original post but looking for a over/unders.
I've always shot 12s and while they do kick like a mule it's kinda what I'm used to. I'd like to get 20s but I always see 12 in stock where 20s not so much.

If I could get into that clitori I'd like to buy Ive been seeing them start alot higher.

Reactions: socalhntr
Sorry I'm currently at sea so internet is spotty. Sorry I should have said in the original post but looking for a over/unders.
I've always shot 12s and while they do kick like a mule it's kinda what I'm used to. I'd like to get 20s but I always see 12 in stock where 20s not so much.

If I could get into that clitori I'd like to buy Ive been seeing them start alot higher.

Tri-Star makes an entry level 12 & 20 gauge O/U...For the money, they're not too bad...Under 400 at Wally World in Montana... :blush:

My advice is always to go see the fine gentlemen at Fine Firearms. However, to my knowledge they don’t sell new “entry level” doubles. They do have some used guns and there might be something worth looking at in their selection, 12 gauge citoris are fairly easy to find. Also, John or anyone else feel free to correct me if there are some sub-1K O/U’s at FF.

For a quality O/U under 1K I do recommend buying used. SoCal Gun currently has 3 or 4 good ones under 1K on their used list (I have not handled these guns and cannot speak to their condition), including two 12 gauge Miroku made O/U’s, and an Ithaca 600 (I believe also Japanese made). The Miroku factory is well known for producing high quality guns and has turned out guns for Browning, Winchester, Charles Daly, and guns under the Miroku name. My Citori was made in ‘84 in the Miroku factory and still locks up like a vault. You can find Citori’s for less than 1K on guns international. Make sure they have a 3 day inspection policy and have them shipped to FF for inspection prior to accepting them.

Reactions: InDeepShip

Glad you clarified as lots of configurations (i.e. O/U). Yes, would agree with the other poster about getting into a quality O/U in a used model at that price range. Haven’t owned a CZ shotgun but have heard very good feedback on them. My primary upland game firearm for many years was a 20g Citori O/U and still take out occasionally. For the last several years I’ve used a Franchi 12g O/U that weighs less than 6lbs…a joy to carry for hours even when chasing stink’in chukar. Recoil isn’t an issue with the Limbsaver.

You mentioned ammo. I never really thought much about ammo availability until the last 5+ years but it weighs in my decision making process for sure these days. Personally, would stick w/12g if your only upland based on that alone. Crazy tyrannical world we are in right now.

Good luck and keep us posted on your selection.

Reactions: InDeepShip
Glad you clarified as lots of configurations (i.e. O/U). Yes, would agree with the other poster about getting into a quality O/U in a used model at that price range. Haven’t owned a CZ shotgun but have heard very good feedback on them. My primary upland game firearm for many years was a 20g Citori O/U and still take out occasionally. For the last several years I’ve used a Franchi 12g O/U that weighs less than 6lbs…a joy to carry for hours even when chasing stink’in chukar. Recoil isn’t an issue with the Limbsaver.

You mentioned ammo. I never really thought much about ammo availability until the last 5+ years but it weighs in my decision making process for sure these days. Personally, would stick w/12g if your only upland based on that alone. Crazy tyrannical world we are in right now.

Good luck and keep us posted on your selection.
My buddy got a CZ Upland Ultralight 20G and loves it. Super light gun as advertised. I'd bet that in a 12G, if they even make them, would kick like a mule at a sub 6 pound weight.

We have found that because 12 gauge is more popular, 20 gauge is in stock more often and longer. 20 gauge is easier to get. Fine Firearms has a couple of pallets of 20 gauge but very little 12 gauge in steel as of this moment. There are sub $1000 shotguns available too. CZ and Stevens. Both good options for folks on a budget. Browning, Beretta and Rizzini are also options available if the budget grows.

On a personal note: I enjoy shooting a 20 gauge at upland game far more than heavier gauges for so many reasons. Faster on target results, less recoil, lighter shell bags, lighter shotgun and less shooting fatigue when hunting all day etc. etc.

For me, 12 gauges have one use - waterfowl. I am sure many will disagree and that is ok. The 20 gauge has been my go to gauge for 45 years, can't change now.

Yea once I get back to SD I'm headed to fine firearms that same day. I bought a Tikka 7mm SL from John and it was honestly the best firearm buying experience I've had. One of the reasons I've recommended it to friends who have also said the same.

Id like to stick with the 12 just because of the ammo availability and who knows maybe I'll get into turkey down the line.

That upland is light but I'd also just been looking for light guns. I need to go hold a few more and decide from there. I've shot a few Citori and they are really nice guys but might be alittle out of my price range.

Yea once I get back to SD I'm headed to fine firearms that same day. I bought a Tikka 7mm SL from John and it was honestly the best firearm buying experience I've had. One of the reasons I've recommended it to friends who have also said the same.

Id like to stick with the 12 just because of the ammo availability and who knows maybe I'll get into turkey down the line.

That upland is light but I'd also just been looking for light guns. I need to go hold a few more and decide from there. I've shot a few Citori and they are really nice guys but might be alittle out of my price range.

Don't let getting a turkey get in the way of getting a 20 gauge...TSS shells are a game changer...You don't really need a 12 any longer for turkeys.

TSS 3", 1 3/4 oz, #9's, with a Carlson choke, thru a Benelli M-2, 20 gauge...:skull:

.032.JPG

I switched from 12ga to 20ga just this year, picked up a Stoeger Condor o/u and haven't looked back. Not an expensive shotgun but has been a great field gun, I not only use it for upland but also for coyotes out to 40yds now. 20yds less then my 12ga but well worth it with the less weight and kick.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I switched from 12ga to 20ga just this year, picked up a Stoeger Condor o/u and haven't looked back. Not an expensive shotgun but has been a great field gun, I not only use it for upland but also for coyotes out to 40yds now. 20yds less then my 12ga but well worth it with the less weight and kick.
Thats a nice gun and a great price...I want to add an o/u to my collection one day.

While I still own a couple of 12 gauges I almost never use them anymore. Ammo is so much better now that a 20 gauge can pretty much do whatever a 12 used to be able to do without the pounding. They’re lighter too. As Steve said with TSS shot, you don’t need a 12 for turkeys. I’ve shot a half dozen of them now with a 20 including one over 50 yards after switching a few years ago. I’m older now, pushing 60 and not as strong as I used to be so the weight of a hunting gun really matters now. Unless you’re a goose hunter too, get a 20. People think “more pellets” and it’s true the 12 has more but the pattern size is the same between the gauges.

Manufactures are noticing the switch to sub gauges and even the 28 gauge steel upland ammo is priced exactly the same as the 20 at sportsman’s warehouse and it’s in stock.

I have an O/U and SXS (and a few semis) but I’d recommend a semi auto for all around use, they’re just more versatile and easier to reload on the run. A Benelli montefeltro can be had for around 1000 but there are 600-800 that are pretty good. There is a guy on you tube reviewing shotguns, I forget his name, he’s and exhibition shooter. I think he’s said the Weatherby semis are good too. Someone mentioned Eastern Europe and I’ve bought a few guns produced there like CZs rifles and Dickinson shotguns and they’re excellent now. If you’re tall a 28” will balance ok for you but if average height or shorter get the 26” in a semi. A 28” is ok for an O/U because the receiver is shorter.

I edited to add the link to the guy who reviews shotguns. Pay attention to the difference between Gas and Inertia guns: the Gas guns shoot softer because of the gas system but are heavier, the inertia is lighter and easier to take apart and clean. The market trend is towards inertia guns. He is reviewing waterfowl versions, mostly 12s, but you can extrapolate because most brands have lighter 20 gauge upland versions (except browning)

Frank

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu