Upland game 12g shotgun

While I still own a couple of 12 gauges I almost never use them anymore. Ammo is so much better now that a 20 gauge can pretty much do whatever a 12 used to be able to do without the pounding. They’re lighter too. As Steve said with TSS shot, you don’t need a 12 for turkeys. I’ve shot a half dozen of them now with a 20 including one over 50 yards after switching a few years ago. I’m older now, pushing 60 and not as strong as I used to be so the weight of a hunting gun really matters now. Unless you’re a goose hunter too, get a 20. People think “more pellets” and it’s true the 12 has more but the pattern size is the same between the gauges.

Manufactures are noticing the switch to sub gauges and even the 28 gauge steel upland ammo is priced exactly the same as the 20 at sportsman’s warehouse and it’s in stock.

I have an O/U and SXS (and a few semis) but I’d recommend a semi auto for all around use, they’re just more versatile and easier to reload on the run. A Benelli montefeltro can be had for around 1000 but there are 600-800 that are pretty good. There is a guy on you tube reviewing shotguns, I forget his name, he’s and exhibition shooter. I think he’s said the Weatherby semis are good too. Someone mentioned Eastern Europe and I’ve bought a few guns produced there like CZs rifles and Dickinson shotguns and they’re excellent now. If you’re tall a 28” will balance ok for you but if average height or shorter get the 26” in a semi. A 28” is ok for an O/U because the receiver is shorter.

Frank

Right on the money, Frank...One of the guns that is being raffled off at the tune-up is a Weatherby camo 20 gauge (donated by Right 2 Bear)

Reactions: FISHNFRANK
I have an O/U and SXS (and a few semis) but I’d recommend a semi auto for all around use, they’re just more versatile and easier to reload on the run. A Benelli montefeltro can be had for around 1000 but there are 600-800 that are pretty good. There is a guy on you tube reviewing shotguns, I forget his name, he’s and exhibition shooter. I think he’s said the Weatherby semis are good too. Someone mentioned Eastern Europe and I’ve bought a few guns produced there like CZs rifles and Dickinson shotguns and they’re excellent now. If you’re tall a 28” will balance ok for you but if average height or shorter get the 26” in a semi. A 28” is ok for an O/U because the receiver is shorter.

Frank

Good comments Frank.

InDeepShip - if you contemplate having a gun dog someday and of ever joining a dog training group, many dog training groups will only allow break open shotguns vs semis. Just something to think about.

Good comments Frank.

InDeepShip - if you contemplate having a gun dog someday and of ever joining a dog training group, many dog training groups will only allow break open shotguns vs semis. Just something to think about.
I can see that. I use quail guides in Arizona and they don’t care for semis - they cannot visually see that a gun is safe unless it is broken open. If you really want an O/U or side by side I wouldn’t buy anything under $1000. CZ probably owns the best low end break open guns. I bought a FAIR Rizzini side by side last year for $1700 which was very impressive. The CZ sharp tail runs like 1100 and I’ve heard it’s pretty good. Try Buds gun shop online but be aware there are shortages of almost every brand and type of gun right now….

Actually Buds does have several CZ available. I’d still go to their 1000 price point and get the Red Head or Sharptail. You want to make sure those barrels are well regulated

I can see that. I use quail guides in Arizona and they don’t care for semis - they cannot visually see that a gun is safe unless it is broken open. If you really want an O/U or side by side I wouldn’t buy anything under $1000. CZ probably owns the best low end break open guns. I bought a FAIR Rizzini side by side last year for $1700 which was very impressive. The CZ sharp tail runs like 1100 and I’ve heard it’s pretty good. Try Buds gun shop online but be aware there are shortages of almost every brand and type of gun right now….

I find the break actions much easier to operate while traversing rough terrain. I have the CZ Drake All-terrain (20ga) and Bobwhite (28 ga) and love them both! Tomorrow my 10 day you can’t make good decisions waiting period is up on a Franchi (12ga).

I switched to 20ga years ago and with this recent purchase I’m going back up to 12ga, just extend my range. Especially with having to use steel shot these days.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Yea I kinda want to stay with break action because of showing it's clear. I feel like just trusting that safety when going threw fences and over rocks.

I feel like I should just get a 12 for trap and skeet and then get a 20 for upland. Might be a better option then getting one to try and fit both.

Reactions: sportyg
Actually Buds does have several CZ available. I’d still go to their 1000 price point and get the Red Head or Sharptail. You want to make sure those barrels are well regulated

No one has mentioned the Ruger Red Label...I do believe they've been discontinued, but the 20 I had was very solid...It just never fit me right.

Yea I kinda want to stay with break action because of showing it's clear. I feel like just trusting that safety when going threw fences and over rocks.

I feel like I should just get a 12 for trap and skeet and then get a 20 for upland. Might be a better option then getting one to try and fit both.

More guns is ALWAYS the best option!

Reactions: InDeepShip
No one has mentioned the Ruger Red Label...I do believe they've been discontinued, but the 20 I had was very solid...It just never fit me right.
Red labels are sweet guns but generally cost significantly more than he said he wanted to pay.

Except for my sxs muzzleloader I was shooting 12 ga. Brownings, a BPS and Auto 5. I started looking for an O/U and sholdered several. I stopped when I came to the Stevens 555 in a 12. It was a lot lighter than my Brownies and fit well.
My long winded point being, I bought a 555 and not only like the shotgun, but the price. It will come alive when shooting heavy loads but for dove and quail, it being under 6.5 lbs.is nice to carry. I have no regrets.

I find the break actions much easier to operate while traversing rough terrain. I have the CZ Drake All-terrain (20ga) and Bobwhite (28 ga) and love them both! Tomorrow my 10 day you can’t make good decisions waiting period is up on a Franchi (12ga).

I switched to 20ga years ago and with this recent purchase I’m going back up to 12ga, just extend my range. Especially with having to use steel shot these days.
Which Franchi did you get? I assume the Instinct O/U but the L, SL, etc.? I almost pulled the trigger on the Instinct L with the case hardened receiver but ultimately got a Beretta Silver Pigeon. That SL model is so light.. would be a great carrying gun for long upland walks.

Which Franchi did you get? I assume the Instinct O/U but the L, SL, etc.? I almost pulled the trigger on the Instinct L with the case hardened receiver but ultimately got a Beretta Silver Pigeon. That SL model is so light.. would be a great carrying gun for long upland walks.

I went with the Instinct LX. I wanted the SLX, but couldn’t find one and I got tired of waiting . Picked it up today and I love the case hardened with the gold. A buddy of mine has the Silver Pigeon and loves it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu